Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Help - Can I do This Myself? 1.7 Isuzu Engine

Guys,

Sorry if this sounds a little strange but I need some advice about the wifes astra and it has been a while since I have had to drive a set of spanners:

She has a 51 plate astra diesel 1.7 estate (Isuzu engine) - she has had a small water leak for a little while.....but today it got bigger! - I removed the battery etc and found that the small metal pipe that runs in FRONT on the block had more pin holes than a culander!

I have looked at it and need to know whether this is something I can do (used to drive spanner for myself and my friends who rallied). I have the alternator to the left (as you look at the front) and the heat shield.

I do not want to start dismantling etc if it prooves too much and I have to rebuild to take to someon - may be a while due to financial constraints!

Is it easy to remove the alternator - best way with the belt?

Also, does anyone have any idea how much the pipe will cost from Vauxhall as I have been told it is a fairly common fault?

Sorry for all the questions, but I have to get this sorted in the next few days as the wife has to go back to work.

Thanks in advance

diver

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the alternator will be easy to remove mate just usual release the tension via the tensioner and the belt will come straight off then just remove the bolts it might be a costly part from vx but you could try autovaux in Wakefield they sell genuine gm parts at a fraction of the dealer prices there number is 01924 376003
    YORKSHIRE OPCOM DIAGNOSTICS,CRUISE CONTROL ETC PM 4 DETAILS

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Steve,

Thanks for the details - where will I find the tensioners - sorry to sound thick, but have never bothered to get into this car as much as my V6!

Also, does anyone know what this part is called as I dont want to look a total idiot when calling them??

Cheers

Rich

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The alternator is a b**ch to remove... just explain the part to them and they will know, dont worry. The tensioner is a sprung loaded one directly in front of the alternator (if you have aircon below the pump)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by diver9 View Post
    Steve,

Thanks for the details - where will I find the tensioners - sorry to sound thick, but have never bothered to get into this car as much as my V6!

Also, does anyone know what this part is called as I dont want to look a total idiot when calling them??

Cheers

Rich
    With or without aircon the tensioner is in the same place on the Isuzu engine.
    When you look at the left hand end of the engine block you will see the fanbelt/aux belt wrapped around a number of pulleys.
    The tensioner is the one which is in the middle of the bottom row.
    If you put a spanner on it and turn it clockwise the tension is taken off and you can then remove the belt. It is tightly sprung mind, so you will need strong arms, or a decent torque. To get to it you will need to remove the airbox though.

If you need to replace it just ask for the aux belt tensioner. It's about £70 all in from Autovaux. Belt is about £14.

HTH