Thread: ASTRA H 1.9CDTI SRI 120PS (8V VERSION) who has one

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ASTRA H 1.9CDTI SRI 120PS (8V VERSION) who has one

Basically come october im looking to step up (possibly) to a astra after always owning corsas.

I had my heart set on the 1.9 sri 150ps version but after searching on different forums im not sure i can take the plunge due to the common swirl flap issue that can set you back £1000, i would cry.

Im thinking of going for the 120ps 8v version to avoid the swirl flap issue, yes i know it wont be a powerful but with a remap they can see 170bhp so quicker then the standard 150ps which would make me more then happy.

Question is, who has one , what they like and any known problems with them.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have yet to hear of anyone having problems with their swirl flaps.. let alone paying £1000 to have it sorted. To say it's "common" is, in my opinion, nonesense.

You see more people having issues with their turbos on the VXR's and ZLET than issues with the 150 CDTi.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    But the SRI 150 with a remap can see 220bhp

See if you can't get a 150 from vauxhall with a decent warranty, then if the swirl flap issue does rear it's ugly head then it's not your problem!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I knew you would say the 150 could get to 220 lol, unfortunately i dont have the budget for one with warranty on thats why im not so keen.

Domino , if you havent heard about the swirl flap issue that much you probably havent read enough, its a very very common problem on the 1.9 16v engines, have a search and it wont take long to find many examples. and it does cost £1000 to get it fixed, you need a whole new inlet manifold. Your obviously a lucky owner who has had no issue.

I know at the end of the day its a forum you are on so the only stories im gonna find are bad ones, no one comes on to say my car was superb today, lol, however there just seems to be alot of stories.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Uh.

Your last comment sums it all up. You're basing this on comments on a forum (or multiple forums) where 70% of the population sign up because they have a problem. OF course you're going to find problems. Do the same for any car and you'll get the same results.

My point is, of all the people I know who own one and drive one (and I mean drive, not pootle about like a granny) not one has had any of these problems.

Anyway, the choice is yours. You'll get the 120ps and get pissed off when someone in a 150 flies past you. Trust me, you'll regret it

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the mk5 150 cdti did have the odd couple haveing problems with the swirl flaps but the main cause was due to local driving around towns. the good thing and the best bit of news is that when vx were sorting them out they modified the flaps so it is no longer a problem hence the reason y you dont hear nothing about them now. you should be fine mate getting the 150 model my swirl flaps were done just over 100000 miles ago now and no problems at all
    YORKSHIRE OPCOM DIAGNOSTICS,CRUISE CONTROL ETC PM 4 DETAILS

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    should of said that, i wont be doing too many miles in it, a fair bit of town driving, sometimes only 5 miles a day lol, you may ask why am i getting a diesel, because it works out cheaper then the equivalent petrol engine which would be a vxr , or 1.8 sri at a push

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would definatley pick the 150 over the 120 anyday all cars have there downfalls i have a sri turbo mk4 with 220bhp and a sri csti 150 remapped and in my eyes i prefer the mk5 its amazing even as standard management/map
    YORKSHIRE OPCOM DIAGNOSTICS,CRUISE CONTROL ETC PM 4 DETAILS

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You're buying a powerful car for town driving?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by domino View Post
    You're buying a powerful car for town driving?
    mixed driving, small town, had a change in job recently meaning im close to work so may only do 5 miles in a day, days off ect weekends i go places

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast