Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its mad, and they wonder why people don't bother with insurance. I know this is wrong and I don't suggest it as it buggers us all up, but from his point of view he would be better of buying a banger for £200 and running without insurance. First offence the car gets crushed, a fine and a few points, if he gets caughts. Thats how some people look at it, and if they can away with it for 12 months the fine and replacement car is still a lot cheaper.
    They really need to shake up the insurance and they need to impose heavier penalties for non insured drivers.

I just put my other half on my insurance as a provisional driver which nearly doubled the premium, I then got a quote for her as a passed driver and the premium tripled, work that one out.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pitkin2020 View Post
    I just put my other half on my insurance as a provisional driver which nearly doubled the premium, I then got a quote for her as a passed driver and the premium tripled, work that one out.
    Drivers are a much greater risk just having passed their test and being out on their own, compared to being instructed while learning.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I agree, and understand that but surely it undermines the test, you pass a test to show you are a competent driver yet the insurers see you as a higher risk.
    Whilst a driver maybe under instruction whilst learning there is very little you can do to control the car from someone who is learning without the aid of dual controls, if the learner pulls out on a roundabout where they should of stopped there is nothing you can do really to avoid a crash.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Money grabbers, they know you have to pay it. exploiting the young driver again.

Doesn't apply to me as i am 27 now but the renewal prices are just ludicrous. Doing it to recoup costs of uninsured drivers, whilst majorly contributing to the problem with their stupidly high prices

Logical eh?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ignoring the insurance... he got ripped for that corsa c, missing part of its grill and different colour wing mirrors :P

I'd say the punishment is fair, 6 points bans young drivers doesn't it? Even if it doesn't, having points I can only imagne greatly increases premiums for a long time and alot of jobs ask for clean drivinglicenses if you want a company car.
    2001 1.8 SE2 - lowered, Opel Badges and grill, GSI front
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=208887

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Logic has to prevail at some point.

Buy a corsa at 2g, pay 17k to insure......

Or buy a top end audi and be very cautious for a year and it has paid for itself. Not that i would ever promote that as uninsured drivers boil my piss, but when you see that you can half understand why so many people do it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm 26 and when I went for renewal just checking comparison sites varied so widely anything from £300 - £4000, how can there be such a difference. The annoying things is most of these insurers are in fact the same company just a different trading name.
    Even when you have a small prank most people avoid the insurance company route as they know it will hike their premium up next year. I hit a mondeo about 2 years ago, right across the drivers door and rear passenger door, it cost £450 to get it repaired, my excess was £400 so it was cheaper just to pay the guy cash to get it fixed rather than take a hit on the insurance. Even when you have a total write off and have to use the insurance its still a battle to get the true value from them.

And don't start me off on this scam called protected no claims....what a load of bull that is. The insurer will still put the premium up and when you look at other comapnies you still have to inform them of a claim and they still put the premium up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pitkin2020 View Post
    I'm 26 and when I went for renewal just checking comparison sites varied so widely anything from £300 - £4000, how can there be such a difference. The annoying things is most of these insurers are in fact the same company just a different trading name.
    Even when you have a small prank most people avoid the insurance company route as they know it will hike their premium up next year. I hit a mondeo about 2 years ago, right across the drivers door and rear passenger door, it cost £450 to get it repaired, my excess was £400 so it was cheaper just to pay the guy cash to get it fixed rather than take a hit on the insurance. Even when you have a total write off and have to use the insurance its still a battle to get the true value from them.

And don't start me off on this scam called protected no claims....what a load of bull that is. The insurer will still put the premium up and when you look at other comapnies you still have to inform them of a claim and they still put the premium up.
    Really? i have protected no claims. might have to re-evaluate this at renewal time if it doesn't benefit me

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast