Thread: Ignition Barrell

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Ignition Barrell

The list of things to do on my car just seem to increase everyday. I have had a few times in the last few months when I had to click my key back to then turn it again and start the car but its never taken more then a few seconds. Today I was in a Asda car park and I couldnt start the car. The key just wouldnt get past the first click. All I could do was turn my stereo on and thats it. I then took the key out waited a few seconds put it back in and it started straight away.

I only have one key as thats all I have ever had for it but I dont think its the key but possibly the ignition barrell. I have read online that some people suggest using WD40 but where would I spray this? This is my first car and so far in the last 4 months I have had the brakes done, getting the timing belt done tomorrow, need to sort out a small leak in the fuel inlet pipe, buy opcom to try and find out why the car hesitates sometimes and now may need a ignition barrell at somepoint soon. Everyone keeps telling me to sell it but I the engine, gearbox and body is sound. Any ideas with the igintion barrell?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I hada similar problem on my coupe. I inserted the key but it wouldn't even turn. I spraied WD40 into the barrell but it still didn't work. GOt a recover firm to take my car back to the garage I bought it from as it was still under warrenty. The guy again spraied about 1/2 a can of WD40 in the barrell and turned it and the key turned round.

Barrells can sometime collapse but you would know this has happened as you wouldn't be able to insert the key.
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    there a common fault happened to mine on my coupe 1.8.

i got stuck and the AA couldnt tow it because the steering lock was on and wheels where on a angle,luckly sprayed duck oil in and got the key in.

but best bet is to order a new barrell for it just go to vaux with car pass and log book and they will order you one for £62 i think.

then its a simple case of removing the old one and trying to get the new one in, the new one can be fiddly to fit got to turn the spare key you get with the new barrell quite alot.

if you search am sure there will be a how to as its a common problem

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    happend to me last summer.....just sprayed wd40 down to barrel and was all working fine after 10 mins

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when you say you sprayed WD40 'down the barrel' do you mean the slot where the key goes in?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes mate use the little red straw that comes with can, Spray it down the hole where key goes in, Then wiggle key in abit and just keep repeating until it works all the time

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I just wanted to be sure as I was worried there may be electronics down there. Oh and your astra is looking really good with the white wheels Rileyleeds

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Lol cheers mate.