Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Recommend a £1k town cruiser plz?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Recommend a £1k town cruiser plz?

The g/f's having enough of her Polo. After last weeks do on Monday where it wouldn't go above 10mph in 2nd, today she said it was juddering like funk at 40mph (no ideas what gear she was in though).

She's looking to replace. Her budget will be 1k.

It MAY stretch to 2k but that would depend on:

a. her wanting to loan 1k off me
    b. me loaning her 1k

So we'll go with the 1k figure for now.

Her trips are typically 5.5mile journeys to work and back through 30mph/50mph traffic.

She needs something low on tax, low on insurance, and somewhere around the 40mpg return (the higher the better with that though).

Reliable
    Not a Fiat!
    or a Hyundai!

Any tips?

I wouldn't mind her getting a Corsa umm, B or C or whatever shape it is - the Y/51 Plate. She was looking at them at one point, as well as many others like Puma's, Fiesta's, other Polo's

*** Forgot to mention, they'd need to be 'that size' too (Fiesta, Corsa, Polo type size - no no suggestions of MK4 Astra as "they're too big")

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Clare's got a 1.5 dCi ph2 Clio. £35 per year road tax, 600 miles on a full tank of fuel giving roughly 55mpg (average), cheap running costs, and insurance group 5. her's is the 80bhp model so quite nippy for what it is really, but they do a 100bhp version as well (if that's not enough) which can be mapped to 130-140 bhp easily enough, giving nearly 150bhp/tonne which is more than my old coupe

being french, and 8 years old it has a couple of niggles, eg stretched seat cable making rear access from passenger side awkward, but then again what do you expect on a 52 plate?! we're swapping the interior soon so it won't matter anyway. Expression trim has elec windows, elec mirrors, a/c, and a manual sunroof. no alloy wheels but they're cheap enough to pick up if you're that way inclined

would recommend one as a small runabout all day long
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    User
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yaris?
    Micra?
    Agila?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Teach her how to ride a push bike, not worth a car for 5 miles!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    She was actually considering a bus & she's going to work out whether a weeks ticket is cheaper all round.

Thing is, the car is handy. When she needs to nip out or whatever, it's there.
    Bike in a downpour??? Get to work & need to come home because you're soaked?
    Waterproofs you say?
    I wear them for work myself & with continuous rain, you still end up getting soaked & i have decent expensive gore-tex waterproofs too.

Plus when the school is back on, the bus service here is terrible.

Where i live was voted the worst place in either the North West or the country (can't remember which) for bus services & reliability.

That aside, the buses are overcrowded, with kids sitting on the stairs upstairs just to cram on a few extra tickets.

I know you didn't mention the bus, but i knew what the next suggestion would be

Yaris? Can you get them under 1k now? I remember reading they'[re supposed to be good reliable motors.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i would say clio, 1.2 are very reliable. or even fiesta 1.25 zetec are good cars,also a peugeot 106 or saxo are not bad motors,
    - small, reliable, cheap to run, great for your girlfriend, and can be picked up for less than 1k in great condition.
    i would avoid corsa b, they aint that good, cramped inside i found & uncomfortable.
    chrisgs23
    aka astravanchris
    astra mk4 van

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgs23 View Post
    fiesta 1.25 zetec
    Aye we were looking at these before she picked up her Polo. She was wanting a Fiesta to start with, but it's tricky picking one that hasn't rotted away by now for under 1k. Nippy little things for what they are.

clio, 1.2 are very reliable
    You sure?

I was looking into Clio's a good while back for her & this is the first time i've ever seen Clio & reliable in the same sentence without the word "not" in there too.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    Clare's clio has been with us since 60k, 4 years on and we're now on 112k and excluding the £43 MOT test fee the biggest bill she's ever had was £120 for three tyres. next highest was something like £68 for new discs and pads.

as with any car, take your time and buy the best you can, and it'll be no bother.

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Any gen on the MK1 Focus? Would likely be the 1.4 engine. Her budget could possibly cover her up to about a W plate at a guess.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    isn't the focus the same size as the astra, which is apparently too big?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast