Thread: Buying a 2nd hand turbo?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Buying a 2nd hand turbo?

The turbo on my car is now totally goosed. Apparently driving behind me when I boot it is like being in a smoke screen. I cant afford a new turbo this month as I need 3 new tyres and a wheel bearing so I was thinking about buying a 2nd hand one. There seems to be loads of standard GSi units pop up for 200 quid or so. Would buying one of thes be a good idea?
    It would definitely go better with an engine in it

ZLET converted SXi See Here

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    if you buy a good one then yes, but be very aware, you may be buying a turbo thats as bad as yours or possibly worse as there are a lot of dis-honest people out there. pay no more than £150 for a low milage LET turbo, get proof of milage aswell.
    Astra T9 estate for sale, see my ebay link!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id personally bite the bullet for pay for a new one, find the money of family or friends, even if you don't like borrowing...

I wouldn't be able to take the risk on how good the turbo is, fair enough can check play in the spindle, but you never know if the seals are gone till you run it up

Joe

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    With a Z20LET/LEH turbo unless I knew where it came from I wouldnt be taking the gamble off one from ebay. Given Autovaux do brand new VXR turbo's for £434.20, £200 for a used one is not a great price imo.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    fair play. I cant lend any money tho, Im still paying the 'rents back the money I lent for the engine so getting any more off them is going to be difficult. That price on the VXR turbo is cheap tho. I take it more is needed than just the turbo to fit it though?

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    afbcadam bought a 2nd hand vxr one already and sent it off to be told it was knacked ( to put it nicely )

im gonna send mine off to be upgraded very soon

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
    fair play. I cant lend any money tho, Im still paying the 'rents back the money I lent for the engine so getting any more off them is going to be difficult. That price on the VXR turbo is cheap tho. I take it more is needed than just the turbo to fit it though?
    All you need is a gasket set (which you would need to fit a replacement ZLET turbo anyway), aside from that theres nothing else to buy.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just a fitting kit which is around 60quid i beleave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    All you need is a gasket set (which you would need to fit a replacement ZLET turbo anyway), aside from that theres nothing else to buy.
    Cool. So would it all go onto the LET manifold with the standard actuator and whatnot?

It has been a bit smokey for a while but the last few weeks its gone wild. I was going to start putting money into the new turbo pot this month and get a GT2871r for it but if I need to replace it now it kills my plans a bit . If buying a cheapo 2nd hand one is such a bad idea I might just stick with mine untill it evantually gives up totally and just keep topping the oil up

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Fitting kit is just a matter of washers and gaskets really mate. Not too much. When I replaced mine, I got a VXR on off a lad on here, £60 and sent it off to be refurbed and uprated at Turbo dynamics. Worked out about £450-500 quid I think, but it is like new and uprated.

If you are buying on here, buy off a reputable member, long service, decent numbers of posts, someone who ain't gonna mugg you off and I don't see a problem.

The VR turbo fits strtaight on, just a couple of oil pipes need rerouting IIRC.

HTH

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast