Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: N/S/P wheel hub

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    M4th3m4t1kz's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    N/S/P wheel hub

    Just wondering how easy it is to replace the wheel hub on a mk 4 astra. I have a speedo problem and I need to replace the wheel hub. I have been quoted £300 by a garage to fix it but I want to know how easy it is to remove.

    I guess you need to remove the wheel, brakes and then the hub. Am I wrong?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you think it needs improving, go ahead. My auto-bio - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=211041

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    GB's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    21,918
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    easy enough

    £40 for a new hub assembly

    i find it much easier to remove the entire knuckle and attack the job off the car

    that means removing the 2 bolts on the shocker leg, the track rod end and the lower ball joint

    obviously the disc and caliper needs to come off too

    if the nuts are seized - a blow torch works wonders

    HTH

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    andybon's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    998
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As above, Just done mine, Cost me £10 for a hub from a breakers. Even easier if you can get the complete hub and not just the sensor part like i did, It just makes it a bolt off bolt on job.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    GB's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Leeds
    Posts
    21,918
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok in theory but u gotta remember that these hubs are a fairly common failure so who's to say the one u get from the scrappy aint shite ?

    maybe worth a shot though......

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    Mosuk's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    changed mine today,
    you need a set of torques bits to remove the brake caliper and disc
    a DEEP 30mm socket for the deive shaft bolt
    18 and 19mm sockets + spanners for the damper bolts
    an extendable bar/breaker bar
    and an E20 female torques socket (sometimes called star drives)

    remove the wheel and chisel off the dust cover over the drive shaft nut
    refit the wheel, lower the car to the ground and undo the drive shaft nut through the wheel (keep the split pin in one piece as you'll need to refit it)
    remove the wheel, brake disc and calliper,
    cable tie the caliper to the shock up and out of the way
    remove the bolts from the shock then leaver the hub and carrier away from the shock and drive shaft (trust me there is more than enough room but the end of the shaft might need a tap to get moving)
    now undo the 3 E20 torques bolts holding the hub to the carrier then tap the hub out of the carrier with a hammer to the back of the bearing housing

    then refit in reverse order using lock tight on the major bolts

    if you use a standard 30mm socket for the drive shaft like i did you would need to hack saw more than an inch off the thread to get the socket on then if your as unlucky as me you'll spend nearly an hour recutting the thread to get the bolt to go back on
    so get the longer socket lol

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    M4th3m4t1kz's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    187
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mosuk View Post
    changed mine today,
    you need a set of torques bits to remove the brake caliper and disc
    a DEEP 30mm socket for the deive shaft bolt
    18 and 19mm sockets + spanners for the damper bolts
    an extendable bar/breaker bar
    and an E20 female torques socket (sometimes called star drives)

    remove the wheel and chisel off the dust cover over the drive shaft nut
    refit the wheel, lower the car to the ground and undo the drive shaft nut through the wheel (keep the split pin in one piece as you'll need to refit it)
    remove the wheel, brake disc and calliper,
    cable tie the caliper to the shock up and out of the way
    remove the bolts from the shock then leaver the hub and carrier away from the shock and drive shaft (trust me there is more than enough room but the end of the shaft might need a tap to get moving)
    now undo the 3 E20 torques bolts holding the hub to the carrier then tap the hub out of the carrier with a hammer to the back of the bearing housing

    then refit in reverse order using lock tight on the major bolts

    if you use a standard 30mm socket for the drive shaft like i did you would need to hack saw more than an inch off the thread to get the socket on then if your as unlucky as me you'll spend nearly an hour recutting the thread to get the bolt to go back on
    so get the longer socket lol
    Sounds like alot but I'm sure it won't. Will try and do it on friday

    Quote Originally Posted by andybon View Post
    As above, Just done mine, Cost me £10 for a hub from a breakers. Even easier if you can get the complete hub and not just the sensor part like i did, It just makes it a bolt off bolt on job.
    I'm probably gonna buy a new one. Found one on ebay

    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VAUXHALL-FRONT...item2c513d4378

    And it's the right part number (so has the speed sensor aswell)

    Quote Originally Posted by GeordieBandit View Post
    ok in theory but u gotta remember that these hubs are a fairly common failure so who's to say the one u get from the scrappy aint shite ?

    maybe worth a shot though......


    Cheers for the help everyone
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it. If you think it needs improving, go ahead. My auto-bio - http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/showthread.php?t=211041

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Mosuk's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    171
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i didn't mention to remove the drive shaft nut split pin while the wheels off with needle nose pliers and that you need to keep an eye on the drive shaft as it is a 'pull out' afair on the splines to the diff so make sure you've got it free moving away from the hub or you'll be topping up the gearbox too!

Similar Threads

  1. veccy SRi wheel refurb wheel 1 complete
    By MwB in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 09-06-2011, 19:36
  2. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-11-2009, 16:54

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •