Thread: Water pump Leaking and very noisey

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Water pump Leaking and very noisey

Hi i have recently brought and 03 plate astra gsi with about 41k on the clock, when i brough it, it has just had the cambelt and tensioners done, but not the water pump which i thought was weird cause if you were doing the cambelt surley you would do the water pump, anyway i was away for a few days and just came back to the car tonight to go for a drive and as soon as i started it i could here somthing like a loose bearing, it died down a bit but then as soon as i blipped the revs a tiny bit it came back again then i could see water coming from the side of the engine, which me first thought was the water pump has abviously just completly gone am i right?

so i turned it off straight away and made sure the cambelt was still tensioned and the timings were correct, i havent started it since as i dont want anything to slip, also if i get the pump changed if it is that, with i have to get a new belt fitted or will the previous one be ok as it has only covered about 1500 milles

Cheers

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Old belt shud be ok in all honesty, however do you have proof it was done?......If not i'd be putting a new belt on just for piece of mind....
    Titan Gold Coupe Turbo
    Stage 3.5

Clicky Here

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yer i have got reciepts showing the tensioners and the belt was done i mean the pump literally just went and water started coming out

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You should be ok just changing the pump then....
    Titan Gold Coupe Turbo
    Stage 3.5

Clicky Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo/Astra J 1.4 active
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    arent you meant to keep the belt away from water? im sure you are
    For the cost of a belt mate i would change it personally for complete peace of mind!
    Also why has the waterpump suddenly gone after the new belt has been put on?
    Tensioner to tight?
    Check to see if the guide on the tensioner itself is set at the "new belt" mark.
    Dont wanna come across negative but would hate for your engine to go matey if the small chance of the belt snapped in the future

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary_D View Post
    arent you meant to keep the belt away from water? im sure you are
    For the cost of a belt mate i would change it personally for complete peace of mind!
    Also why has the waterpump suddenly gone after the new belt has been put on?
    Tensioner to tight?
    Check to see if the guide on the tensioner itself is set at the "new belt" mark.
    Dont wanna come across negative but would hate for your engine to go matey if the small chance of the belt snapped in the future
    Ok thanks mate, i can see what you mean, i started it after a few days of it being off and the noise started and water was p*ssing out of it, i am getting my mate to get me the bits so ill just ask him to get a belt also, if it was to tight would it affect the tensioners?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo/Astra J 1.4 active
    Mentioned in
    21 Post(s)
    Quoted
    101 Post(s)
    I dont think it would affect the tensioner unless it was way over the mark but it was then it would of affected the belt! It may well been fitted correctly but its worth the look when your in there.
    I over tightened my belt and it resulted in knacking my waterpump bearings straight away and breaking the tensioner itself!
    A single bolt next to the tensioner saved my engine as the tensioner came to rest on it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice guys, had a new water pump and belt fitted today, the car runs so smooth now i love it, also the belt was way to tight and had just took out the water pump bearings, but its all ok now.

one other minor thing is that when the car is up to tempurature when it idles the revs dip ever so slightly it does it like every 10 seconds or so i have a new one way valve coming for it that goes from the rocker cover to the throttle body but i dont think that, that is the problem, any ideas? dirty pipe work or idle control valve mabye?

Cheers