Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Breaking a car - when its undrivable. Best suited model to break?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Breaking a car - when its undrivable. Best suited model to break?

Today i had the great idea of buying in a MK4 for as cheap as cheap can possibly be (but would still need to be drivable).

For the sole purpose of having a bash at taking it apart. If i fudge it up - it didn't cost much & i could sell for spares etc, which i'd possibly do anyway, even if i was able to take apart & put back together.

There is a reason for this - i need to take my dash apart for the aircon, but don't want to knacker my own car. I'd like to practice first (but if i had a spare car, then i'd have a crack at dismantling other things too to learn a bit more).

Obviously, you'd want to get a decent trim level without being too costly. You want it to be able to regain its initial spend & then make some.
    What trim level & engine size would you suggest?

Also, once you've taken out enough parts (interior should be no bother, so under the bonnet we'd be talking here) to render it undrivable, then how do you get it down to the scrappies? The wheels may even be off if they can be sold, so then it wouldn't be able to be pushed/towed.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    most breakers worth theyre salt will come and pick the shell up off your driveway.

Failing that....get the disc cutter out

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Never thought of that. Plus a tool hire shop rents land off my employer right near us, so could maybe get one for free or cheap.

Have had someone collect in the past, but the car was at least moveable. How do they get it if it has no wheels/engine?

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Crane.

ive had a few doner cars craned away in the past after ive ripped engines,rear beam etc off them, and a few bare shells.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    as above, got some cracking shots of my two shells being lifted off the drive we had to drag one approx 30 feet though on two breeze blocks, as the lorry couldn't get close enough to it

as for which model to get... just find the cheapest, shittiest (bodywork/interior wise) 1.8 you can find - that way at least you're working on a car the same as your own, and you may just get some useful spare parts out of it
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I was thinking 1.8 ideally for that reason.

But lets say - the dash that's that poor grey colour isn't really going to sell, but a black dash could generate more interest if you get me?

Not sure which trim levels provide the grey colour & which provide black (well, i know SRi provides black as i have it)

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    i think it all depends on what colour interior was specced from new. I've seen LS's with both black and grey dashes. certainly the black dash will be more desirable, as would things like sxi rear lights (ie tinted) be more desireable than plain. elec windows all round, and elec mirrors (eg CDX) as well as front fogs would all give you parts to strip out and make money off. cars with those bits will be more expensive to buy than those without though.

just going to be a case of seeing what you can find I reckon. certainly go for the 1.8 if you can though, you'll get 5 studs which will make it easier to sell the hubs on as conversion kit, as well as rear disc conversions.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    buy a haynes manuel it would be cheaper
    If you are going to go through hell, keep going.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe1976 View Post
    buy a haynes manuel it would be cheaper
    The how to guide on here is even cheaper

I still managed to scuff up the dash taking out the clocks which took 45mins or so.

Can do them no bother in about 5-10 now though.

Best way of learning is doing & learning from mistakes. I'd rather not make mistakes on my own car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why dont you just buy a damaged repair-able with light damage? it'll be cheap and you might get a good spec

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast