Thread: Steering Controls

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Steering Controls

I changed the radio in my car, bought the correct lead to make the steering controls work, for a few weeks it has been fine, then 10 days or so ago I noticed the lights on the controls stopped working, and now they controls have stopped working completely Could it be a fuse? or are the controls knackered? I'm going to pop into the shop I got the audio stuff from to see what they say, but thought I'd ask here 1st.
    Astra GSi 03 in Arden Blue

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The lights should work reguardless of the steering wheel control adaptor unless you have a sony headunit

Worse case the airbag squib could be faulty
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Weirdly on my sony headunit the lights on the steering controls only come on when I turn on AF or TA... I'd imagine if its suddenly happened then perhaps the connections are strained or have come loose behind the stereo, not much room back there afterall, perhaps driving vibration has worked something loose...?
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    With TA switched on the headunit will power the electric aerial wire all the time to recieve traffic reports, this is what lights up the steering wheel controls
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It is a sony HU, stupid that the lights don't work though. Guess i'll have to check the wires behind the HU.

Autosparks, is there any easy way to check if the airbag squib is knackered? And I guess it's either expensive or a PITA to fix?

Edit - I've got to take it out anyway, as it doesn't stay on the track name part, it starts flashing things up like "support" and the like, my old man reckons there should be a fuse in the back to make it stay put though, but i'm not too sure. Does that sound right? lol

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Right sony headunit should light the controls when the radio's on, you may find you noticed them when you were listening to the radio but not just listen to cd's/ ipod

Do you have a display adaptor? Sounds like it all could do with being unplugged to reset it before it gets plugged back in. I'd be surprised to see a fuse in any of it because it draws no real current

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for a late reply, I went to the audio shop I bought it from, and they literally just unplugged it all, waited for 5 secs, and plugged it all in a voila it works again! Not sure the lights do, not been out when its dark enough yet.

The reason it flashed up the "support" stuff was because it was stuck on demo mode or something along those lines.

Cheers for the help though!