Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

LED lights in dash

Hi guys,

I have a mk4 2001 astra and i have replaced the standard cluster bulbs with the super bright blue 3 LED bulbs but they are not bright at all.

This is either because I have them too far in, or is it that I need to remove some film inside?

When I say too far in, i mean that the bulbs are now longer that the original ones so they are a bit past where they would normally be, to reflect as much light as they can,

Also has anyone been able to change the lights on their auto

P R N D 1 2 3 - I want these to be blue, I opened it up and it looks like they are using SMDs?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm not sure if its the same but when I put LED's in my MFD one was dimmer than the other, so I just turned the dim bulb 180 degrees and it was bright again ! Try that mate. Hope it helps
    Always Welsh & always driving !!!!
    AutoBiography:http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...21#post2573421

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi inNOCtrol

do you have a link to the bulbs you have bought?

and which ones are you changing? the mfd, clocks, and heater controls?

my astra van is also a 2001, and my mfd brightness is crap, its fully up and i cant even see it in daylight. i have just put 2 blue bulbs in, and used a tupperwear lid cut to size, sanded it to etch the surface to use as a diffuser, this has made it brighter but in areas its still dark

i have seen some people wire 8x 5mm blue leds behind the screen to solve this, using resistors, which i think i will try.

but also i did my clock with blue bulbs, and mine was the same, couldnt even tell they was on, compared to the normal ones in you could tell.

so im in similar situations :C
    chrisgs23
    aka astravanchris
    astra mk4 van

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Super 3 LED bulbs here

They are too long as i fitted them to the original bulb holder, When I replaced the lighter with the new bulb it would not clip in as it was way too long.

Looking inside the cluster with a torch, I can see that straight down it is just black, but if you look inside where the bulb goes you will see on the sides there are clear plastic pieces that the LED's should shine into,

I'm hoping that my LED's are just too long and are missing the clear pieces, so there getting bugger all light pushed through them.

I cant get my heater controls off, I watched a video where you just pull them off, mine are stuck as F* haha.

Not to sure about the MFD ,I will get to it this weekend, I read that you can just use a piece of clear plastic off a sleeve folder for example, one that may deflect some light, which will eliminate any bright spots.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i have never seen them before, problem i see is astra mk4 use twist fittings, not wedge.
    with the lighter i would do this, ...

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/...ad.php?t=32896

heater coontrols. what i did was..
    you need to remove the center console really, and the heater contols are held in place by 4 metal clips, 2 top, 2 bottom, all i did was prised them up with a flat screw driver, and slid an allen key in to keep them held out,and when i did all 4 the unit just pushed off the center console with ease, the n you can push it down without disconnecting the cables, and easy change the bulbs.

with the mdf i did that what you said but the light is not bright enough in all areas,this is better way i think....

http://www.astraownersnetwork.co.uk/...ad.php?t=32900

let me know how you get on
    chrisgs23
    aka astravanchris
    astra mk4 van