Thread: WTF is the Bottom end plug?? (coolent system))

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

WTF is the Bottom end plug?? (coolent system))

Quote Originally Posted by dannysport18 View Post
    Sorry for nickin your pic danny but i think it may help with my problem...

I have a problem with my coolent system in that if you look where the oil cooler pipes run under the alternator, when the header tank is filled water just runs out of this point.

The car was towed to a local garage who have done most of the more technical work on my let, they phoned me after about half an hour of having the car and said they suspected that a plug in the bottom end had failed and would need 2 hours labour just to investigate the problem.

I'm just wanting to know what this plug is, what it does and how hard it is to fix so i have some info when i get quoted for the fix.

I think that the damage was caused during winter after not having enough anti-freeze in due to an ongoing radiator problem.

Could this have caused damage to the bottom end and if it has, what am i lookin at to fix it?

Obviously, after spending months on upgrading, i'm expecting the worst, would be sods law if it was totally nacked.

Just lookin for a bit of info to put my mind at rest.
    Just Another GSi Build Thread (Big BHP Build) - Feedback Thread (Comments appreciated )

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The only thing i can think of a bottom end plug is a "core plug" which is just a circular metal plug which either screws or pushes into the block and is a very tight fit, now not having enough antifreeze in may have caused it to rust, but it seems like their charging too much mate, get some more info and let me know!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    nice one mate, that is how they desribed it, the core plug, just couldnt think what they had said when i made the post, been a long night.

so that would be nothing major?

Whats the core plug for?
    Just Another GSi Build Thread (Big BHP Build) - Feedback Thread (Comments appreciated )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    the only Plugs in the bottom end are core plugs

nice new Block 2 years ago sitting out side getting hard
    only down side is it looks crap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    the 4 silver disks? ffs, found what i think was one of those under the car when i did the exhaust, just assumed it was from before i parked it up and put it with a load of old shite, might still have it. gutted if it is.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    they are cheap to buy and kind of Easy to replace any way
    best not to bung the old one back in

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    i wont mate, got bits of let all over my garage, dont think i could find it if i wanted to.

at least now i know if it is that, they cant do me for a fortune and say it was a big job.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    just got the call from the garage, took 1 hour to find problem plus the tow so i'm up 2 70 quid.

they recon all the plugs are loose, £15 for parts plus 2-4 hours labour, if i had known this was the problem i would have sorted it myself...

looks like this is gona be unnecessarly costly considering the nature of the problem