Thread: is a 2.2 sri a good idea??

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

is a 2.2 sri a good idea??

Hi, I'm new to the site, just joined as I'm hoping to be an astra owner in the next week or two.

I've just sold my beloved 206 GTi as I've had MANY problems with it in the past and got fed up of spending all my spare cash fixing various her.

I don't really want to go from a fun car like that to a cheap runaround (as suggested by my family), so wanted to go for the astra of the 2.2 sri variety
    Thing is, everyone keeps telling me it's a bad idea - the petrol consumption, the insurance, tax etc.... apparently it's "not a sensible choice"

Perhaps someone who owns (or has owned) one of these cars could give me some insight... tbh I kinda just want to know if they're reliable or not!
    Would it be more sensible to go for the 2.0, 1.8 or even 1.6?

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ffoeg's 180bhp 2.2 SRi is as economical as my 1.6 16v so go figure

Cracking engine by all accounts, though it'll obviously be higher to insure than the smaller variants.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    depends what you mean by sensible! as an engine, if the timing chain has been changed and newer oil jet put in (depending on year of the car) then it's a very good engine. I have one, not had a single problem (touch wood) and bar the timing chain snapping then I don't think many people have had problems with it!

It's a good car, pretty quick, especially above 4000rpm, and fuel consumption isn't as bad as people think, ie, I am using around 27 - 29 mpg around cardiff city, but on a 100 mile run, half motorway half a roads I was averaging about 37ish mpg, which I wa chuffed with. but if you're like me, and don't really care about fuel consumption and love the sound of a revving engine, then don't bother with the last paragraph I typed!

Rhys
    *Irmscher Astra G Hatch,
    *2.2L 16v(Z22SE)
    *154.0BHP, 151.3 lbs ft torque...
    ...For now...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wowza! that was some quick responses -thanks guys

I'm not too bothered about insurance, I do have 9 points but 5 years NCB, plus over 25 and the group is 13 whereas my 206 was 14. MPG on the 206 was 29-32 average.

I think by sensible I mean reliable.... I know peugeot engineering and wiring (at least in my car) was shockingly bad :O and I was under the impression that vauxhalls were of a better build quality. I just don't want another car that's going to be in and out of the garage every 5 minutes - I've literally spent 2500-3k on repairs over the last 3 years..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think you'll be looking at that kind of repair bill with a 2.2 vaux, or any other for that matter unless you're VERY unlucky!

As said, no problems at all with mine, I have 6 points and 3/4 years NCB, so it was sort of the quickest car I could afford to insure and I love it
    *Irmscher Astra G Hatch,
    *2.2L 16v(Z22SE)
    ...For now...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ok I'm getting excited now I was holding back before cos had my doubts...

I do have one in mind I wanted to buy but my mum's bf took a look at it yesterday and there was power steering fluid (he thinks - wasn't oil) leaking from the engine. The owner claimed not to have noticed before. Do you know if this is a common fault?

The car is unbelievably clean, has done only 45k miles and all old MOTs, serving and paperwork is there. He's asking £2000 - I'm very tempted!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what year is the car mate? I don't know if that's a common fault, I haven't read/heard that anywhere...

Seems like a very good price to me but if there's somthing leaking then knock the price down accordingly and get it looked at, can't be that bad a problem if the owner hasnt noticed it! (unless it's a lie lol)

Rhys
    *Irmscher Astra G Hatch,
    *2.2L 16v(Z22SE)
    ...For now...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ill throw a slight spaner of caution in
    i had a 2.2 for 3-4 weeks.
    All looked spot on drove really well very clean full service history.

Leaks started to appear and it was drinking a huge amount of water.

3 weeks later big old bang and i ended up with £1k worth of engine repairs, traded it in for a Mk5. i got £1800 PX in Feb 09

£2k is not alot of money but make sure you get everything checked as a private sale is a risky old business

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    what was the bang and what were the repairs?
    *Irmscher Astra G Hatch,
    *2.2L 16v(Z22SE)
    ...For now...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue_Sport View Post
    what year is the car mate? I don't know if that's a common fault, I haven't read/heard that anywhere...

Seems like a very good price to me but if there's somthing leaking then knock the price down accordingly and get it looked at, can't be that bad a problem if the owner hasnt noticed it! (unless it's a lie lol)

Rhys
    It's 2000, X reg... It was quite a lot of fluid but mum's bf looked at it and said it would probably be a split in a seal or hose. The seller seemed very genuine, said he'd get it looked at but might not have time this week.
    It drove without a problem, only noise I heard he told me was from the drilled airbox. The centre dash display has gone but I heard this was quite common in the astras.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast