Thread: Passport and spare key

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Passport and spare key

I recently bought a 2003 Astra 1.6 dual fuel estate, it came with one key - blip type and no radio code, I bought a passport at vauxhall dealers and they gave me the code and are sending me the passport this week.

The passport has the key details in so can i shop around and order a spare key over the net using details on the passport or do I still have to go along in person?

I asked one of the local cutting services and they quoted me £75 for a key without the blip and £140 for one with a blip and as i paid only £60 for a ford focus key a few months ago I think this sounds expensive.

Plus if i bought the cheaper one will it open the doors and start the car?
    That would do if so as its only for a spare.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    most key cutters can cut the key blade but cant program a vauxhall key, you have to go to vauxhall to do it..or program it yourself with something like op-com..and i certainly would not give my car key code or security number over over to a compltete stranger over the internet for a key to my car..,,as they have your address too..Not saying that they are not straight but you never know..
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersterl View Post
    most key cutters can cut the key blade but cant program a vauxhall key, you have to go to vauxhall to do it..or program it yourself with something like op-com..and i certainly would not give my car key code or security number over over to a compltete stranger over the internet for a key to my car..,,as they have your address too..Not saying that they are not straight but you never know..
    Have seen opcoms mentioned but not sure how they work or if it would be cheaper as it would be a one off, unless i can find someone who does it near here.
    I have seen fobs with blanks sold on fleabay but am not sure about that either.
    Yep and understand about giving details over the phone - don't mind if its a reputable company - would check em out first anyway.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought a blank blade with new transponder£12.99 and second hand keyfob £8.00 both from ebay.. key blade cost £3 too cut locally and i programmed the key to transponder with my own op-com..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by supersterl View Post
    I bought a blank blade with new transponder£12.99 and second hand keyfob £8.00 both from ebay.. key blade cost £3 too cut locally and i programmed the key to transponder with my own op-com..
    Wow thats cheap, are opcoms difficult to use?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its like every thing you buy , read and learn...there is items on the web that explain thing to do with op-com , like programming your key etc.. and many other things..some are quite straight forward ,others are not..but you will need the car security code to program the key,(which you already have)..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why not ask in ur regional forum on here - someone with opcom can programme it for you

as above, a new blade and transponder chip can be had for about £20 on ebay (chip must be new), remote control can be used as long as its the correct fruquency, few quid to cut and thats it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks will do that once i receive the pass next week, am away to cornwall at the end of next week so may have to wait till after i return, unless i can have it done down there !!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    On my old A3 Audi tried to charge me £280 for a New key to be cut and programmed!

Sold the car to my mum in the end :P
    04 1.7 CDTI SXI - Best £50 I've ever spent!
    R.I.P MK4 1.4 silver hatch 1999 on a V plate which died of MOT and Head Gasket faliure.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust