Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Glass staining/tinting products?

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    Kev.'s Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,820
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

    Glass staining/tinting products?

    Not for a car - hence in the chit chat forum

    For a window in a door.

    Not wanting tinting products as such, as there's not much light gets into the room as it is, so don't want the light input to be brought down any if we can help it.

    Want something that still lets light in, would preferably allow you to see out, but not really allow you to see in.

    Anyone think of anything that's not silly money?

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    Ffoeg's Avatar
    2170:01:06
    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Posts
    34,591
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    AndyH's Avatar
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Join Date
    Jul 1971
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Posts
    300,024,286
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    Not for a car - hence in the chit chat forum

    For a window in a door.

    Want something that still lets light in, would preferably allow you to see out, but not really allow you to see in.

    Anyone think of anything that's not silly money?
    Not sure if there is a film that you can apply, other than the tacky mirror film that you see on some cars. The problem with one way glass/film is that it almost always relies on a light source on one side of it to function (think of an police identity parade). Which is fine during daylight hours, but as soon as night falls and you switch your hall light on, everyone can see in but you cannot see out

    The other option is the obscure film that Geoff posted up, but it is obscure from both directions, so you won't be able to see through it any better from one side.

    (I work for a glass processor in case you were wondering, we supply Everest with their DGUs among other people )
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Kev.'s Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    9,820
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyH View Post
    Not sure if there is a film that you can apply, other than the tacky mirror film that you see on some cars. The problem with one way glass/film is that it almost always relies on a light source on one side of it to function (think of an police identity parade). Which is fine during daylight hours, but as soon as night falls and you switch your hall light on, everyone can see in but you cannot see out
    Aye i'm not wanting that lol.

    Viewing out of this particular window isn't totally necessary, only preferred. It's a mini door window similar to bathroom windows in a way. You can't see in or out as such, but you can if you stick your face up close to it.


    The film that geoff linked up could possibly do the job aye. Cheers for that.

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    AndyH's Avatar
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Join Date
    Jul 1971
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Posts
    300,024,286
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    Aye i'm not wanting that lol.

    Viewing out of this particular window isn't totally necessary, only preferred. It's a mini door window similar to bathroom windows in a way. You can't see in or out as such, but you can if you stick your face up close to it.
    In that case, an embossed obscure film might work for you. Gives you the impression of patterned glass, and like patterned glass there will be areas you can peer through to see what's on the other side, dependent on the pattern you choose

    http://www.purlfrost.com/decorative-window-films.php
    Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Similar Threads

  1. Best DIY Leather re-staining product?
    By Vauxhall16v in forum Astra Discussion & Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-08-2012, 22:10
  2. wheel staining?
    By slim-shany in forum Car Care and Detailing
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 30-08-2010, 23:52
  3. Getting rid of the staining on the throttle body
    By Kev. in forum Car Care and Detailing
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 13-02-2010, 21:28

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •