Haven't done much with the car lately other than put an MOT on it, so nothing really special. However today I spotted an Astra the same colour as mine in one of my local scrap yards, I'm not sure what it was, other than an LS 8v automatic. It had central locking and electric windows. I purchased this for the sum of £20 as a complete door and had it off in less than 10 minutes.
I also popped into another scrap yard, which happens to be next door and got the wiring loom from a GLS, as well as a badge for the new door, since mine has electric mirrors and the new door didn't have the loom.
So, got it home and gave it a quick wash and polish, to see how good it would turn out, and what lurked under the dirt that covered it.
(loom, which came the the grand sum of £2)
Once it was dry I cracked on with trying to fit it to my car, well after testing to see if the electric window worked properly, which it did. It also got lubed up while I was there as well as swapping over the new loom.
When it was dry I did notice then that it had some bad scratched that had been painted over with one of those scratch pens, pretty poorly really, but at least the paintwork and the door in general is much better than my old one.
The change of door wasn't as easy as I had planned, but then these things rarely are. The door in the scrap yard came of very easy, the pins literally just slid out. However mine proved alot harder. The bottom pin I managed to get out in the end, when I got a drift on the bottom of it, assisted with a pair of water pump pliers and a hammer. The top pin was even worse as the rim of it came off completely and I had major trouble trying to get it out!
I managed to in the end with a drift on the top of it.
(just after removal)
( New with the old)
Next thing to do was to swap over the locks and put on the door card and speaker. This wasnt as big a problem as I first though and everything changed over with relative ease. However I did actually discover that my door lock is actually broken and I'd always wondered why it never did deadlock. I've since discovered that the deadlock mechanism is actually missing from my lock somehow, yet the micro switch is present. I may get around to trying to fix that at some point or try my key in the locks of scrap cars to see if I can find a match. Since I've read that sometimes it does happen that more than 1 car used the same locks.
But it does look loads better now that the door is fitted and shiny.
And now the electric window works and goes up and down properly yay!
And hopefully a full good clean tomorrow