Thread: done some work to the Astra today

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

done some work to the Astra today

Haven't done much with the car lately other than put an MOT on it, so nothing really special. However today I spotted an Astra the same colour as mine in one of my local scrap yards, I'm not sure what it was, other than an LS 8v automatic. It had central locking and electric windows. I purchased this for the sum of £20 as a complete door and had it off in less than 10 minutes.
    I also popped into another scrap yard, which happens to be next door and got the wiring loom from a GLS, as well as a badge for the new door, since mine has electric mirrors and the new door didn't have the loom.
    So, got it home and gave it a quick wash and polish, to see how good it would turn out, and what lurked under the dirt that covered it.

(before washing)

(loom, which came the the grand sum of £2)

Once it was dry I cracked on with trying to fit it to my car, well after testing to see if the electric window worked properly, which it did. It also got lubed up while I was there as well as swapping over the new loom.
    When it was dry I did notice then that it had some bad scratched that had been painted over with one of those scratch pens, pretty poorly really, but at least the paintwork and the door in general is much better than my old one.

The change of door wasn't as easy as I had planned, but then these things rarely are. The door in the scrap yard came of very easy, the pins literally just slid out. However mine proved alot harder. The bottom pin I managed to get out in the end, when I got a drift on the bottom of it, assisted with a pair of water pump pliers and a hammer. The top pin was even worse as the rim of it came off completely and I had major trouble trying to get it out!
    I managed to in the end with a drift on the top of it.

(just after removal)

( New with the old)
    Next thing to do was to swap over the locks and put on the door card and speaker. This wasnt as big a problem as I first though and everything changed over with relative ease. However I did actually discover that my door lock is actually broken and I'd always wondered why it never did deadlock. I've since discovered that the deadlock mechanism is actually missing from my lock somehow, yet the micro switch is present. I may get around to trying to fix that at some point or try my key in the locks of scrap cars to see if I can find a match. Since I've read that sometimes it does happen that more than 1 car used the same locks.
    But it does look loads better now that the door is fitted and shiny.

And now the electric window works and goes up and down properly yay!
    And hopefully a full good clean tomorrow
    Probably the ONLY Astra Mk3 sitting on Corsa D SXI rims!
    And Now a Diesel on Discs all round!

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=162503

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good job there mate, wouldnt know its been changed.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiberson View Post
    Good job there mate, wouldnt know its been changed.
    Cheers bud

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good work bud, I want to get leccy windows in mine too
    Those corsa rims look ace btw

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks. Mine already had electric window to start with, but the drivers one wasnt working properly. So for that reason and the fact the door was pretty rough, the hinges where worn etc I replaced it. Like i said though the door I got from the scrapyard came from an LS model with no leccie mirrors and such, so had the swap the looms over.
    You might have to do the same if you want electric windows, mirrors etc on your van as I'm pretty sure they use the same loom up until the door, then its different depending on the options, not hard to swap out though, took me all of 20 mins. You could get all the motors and wires for the van from a 5 door hatch and it should all bolt in fine

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra Van 1.7 DTI
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Looks good, good find at the scrappy.

MK4 Astra Van 1.7 DTI Sportive