Thread: Runners - need your input

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Runners - need your input

I have been running for a little while now (3 months or so). I run 3 times a week and have slowly built up my distance and I am currently at 3.7 miles. Each time I have increased my loop I have felt ready for it, but now trying to do the 4 mile mark seems beyond me still. I have been doing my 3.7 for a couple of weeks now. should I just keep doing it until it feels a comfortable run? Or should I force the extra 0.3 even though I am done ion when I get back and the idea of more is killer!

Its driving me mad because I want to do it, I want to get back to my running form from younger when I used race 5-6 mile races for the county and do half marathons now and again. I dont want to jon a running club again though, but the encouragement from fellow runners would be helpful.

So how do you build up the miles? Should I continue down this path until I feel comfortable?

Input required!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I started running again last year, and I've booked myself into a 10KM event in September, to give myself some motivation.

What are you finding uncomfortable? Are you out of breath, do your legs/feet hurt?

I've been tracking all my runs, and I've not only been able to increase my distance, but I've also get my time down on the runs of a known distance.

I'm at the stage now where I just get bored rather than tired after a hour or so of running, so need to work out some new routes.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I've started running again over the last couple of months and know how you feel. It was hard for me at first to move on from my 6 mile runs to 7 miles but I just pushed through it one day and the rest was history.

If you're looking for some good running advice get yourself on the following forum; it really helped me.

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/

Rob

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker400 View Post

If you're looking for some good running advice get yourself on the following forum; it really helped me.

http://www.runnersforum.co.uk/
    I joined there as well, and I really like their training blog. That is what I'm using to keep a record of my runs.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I been running since school, I do on average 12 miles a week. (mostly cross country).

If your doing 3.7 miles 3 times a week there is no porgressive change or overload on your body so you will quickly become used to running 3.7miles no more no less.

A good thing to do is still do 3 runs a week but vary your distance. For example.

Sunday 4.5 miles.
    Wednesday 2 miles.
    Friday 3miles.

This way your body learns to run at different paces at different speeds for different distances.

When someone trains to run 3 mile as fast as they can, they will run 6 and 4 mile loops to gain running stamina. Not just 3 mile runs.

Knew my advanced level Physical education would come in handy one day

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Clark View Post
    I been running since school, I do on average 12 miles a week. (mostly cross country).

If your doing 3.7 miles 3 times a week there is no porgressive change or overload on your body so you will quickly become used to running 3.7miles no more no less.

A good thing to do is still do 3 runs a week but vary your distance. For example.

Sunday 4.5 miles.
    Wednesday 2 miles.
    Friday 3miles.

This way your body learns to run at different paces at different speeds for different distances.

When someone trains to run 3 mile as fast as they can, they will run 6 and 4 mile loops to gain running stamina. Not just 3 mile runs.

Knew my advanced level Physical education would come in handy one day
    Very sound advice. Lucky someone payed attention in Phys Ed lessons :P

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tracker400 View Post
    Lucky someone payed attention in Phys Ed lessons :P
    I payed attention....but more to the girls playing net ball rather than what the teacher was telling us

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fitness is all about shocking your body into progression. If you get into an easy routine you'll never progress.

The 'S.P.O.R.T' principles of training are simple and effective guidelines to follow when training.

At A-level there where no practical lessons, so I had no choice but to pay attention.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    must admit i admire you guys,i personally am far past the age of running and believe if we were meant to run we would have four legs lol.!!
    Good luck and hope you get past the 4 mile marker,i cant even get past 400 metres

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    sounds like you have reached a plateu, sometimes they are a killer to get past. i used to get it occasionally when i was doing weights alot, would make gains for a while increasing weight steadily then hit a point that i couldnt get past.

what i did was drop the reps and increase the weight then try and gradually increase the reps. basicly higher intesity for shorter time, could this work for your running? push yourself to do the 3.7 miles quicker for a bit then once you get comfortable with it drop the pace slightly and see if you can go further.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast