Thread: Rj45

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rj45

Well i just ordered Bt infinity as per one of my other threads...

The question i have now is in regards to wireless and wired connections.

Basically i have 2 reception rooms which are directly next door to one another and the PC is in the smaller one, with the homhub being next door right next to the phone socket.

The PC is on a wireless connection from the BT home hub at the moment and this seems to work fine, however with the BT infinity coming soon i wanted to try and get a wired connection...

The best way i can see to do this is to get a long rj45 cable and i wondered whether or not the quality of this really mattered, i have seen the following but would anybody recommend i look at getting a better quality?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/20-Meter-CAT5e...item4150bcea0b

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If the wireless works fine i'd just stick with it TBH, or if you want to upgrade get a wireless 'N' card/adaptor. Not sure what equipment you get with the Infinity package, but even the basic hubs are 'N' now, so would imagine the Infinity to be as well.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Its all a question of money really, i know the N adaptors arent that expensive but wired is renound for being better and that cable in the link is cheaper than the adaptor...

Is the cable sh1te or would it do a decent job ?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It would do the job, just depends if you want the cable running all through the house.

G wireless is 54mbps, and you have been quoted 14mb for the broadband, so the standard wireless would be plenty quick enough. Unless the wireless is giving you problems I would just stick with it. But thats just me, some people seem to prefer wired connections, I think they just look mess unless built into the house.
    You could always look at getting those adaptors that work through the mains wiring.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It wouldnt run all round the house as such, it would run along one long skirting board and thats it really.

the other idea i was toying with was running a cable outside and along the front of the house back into the house into a faceplate, this would look neater wouldnt it ? Not sure what the cost would be to do that and it might be something to look at in the future but for now its either the cable or wireless..

Knowing me ill probably leave it as it is but theres definately a view to change things

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hang on, which adaptors ? The powerline ones that BT supply ? I have two of those already, are you saying those would work ?

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah they would. Plug one in by router with RJ45 to it. Then the other by PC.
    Have never used them myself, but people seem to recommend them. If you already have them might as well try them out.

Faceplates and stuff cost pennys, so wouldn't much cost if you wanted to do it that way instead.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmmm okay i can see this going somewhere then...

I have one adaptor plugged in by my pc now and an rj45 connecting the two.

From the other end i have an rj45 coming from the BT vision box into the home hub (and this is working) and one rj45 from the hub to the other powerline adaptor im still not getting an intenet connection without the wireless adaptor plugged in, although netowrk connections tells me it in connected and working ?

Any ideas ?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the rj45 adapters that plug into the mains electrical wiring need to be on the same electrical circuit. So if you have a seperate fuse for your sockets upstairs and for ones down stairs those plug in jobs aint gonna work. Basically for them to work they need to be plugged into sockets controlled by the same fuse (known as on the same circuit)

If your going to run the cable along the skirting boards my view would be to terminate each end with an rj45 socket so that you just need short cables to plug into the devices as required. you can then use trunking to box in the cable for a better finish betwwen the two sockets