Thread: Wiper motor

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Wiper motor

Through viewing loads of posts here it would appear that the randomly parking wipers feature is a common optional extra on the Mk4, and the only fix is to replace the motor.

Searching the various online scrappies it seems £35-£45 is the going rate for a used one (I've not yet got a price for a new one). Now I don't mind fitting a used one - so long as I can check it is a good one before I donate loads of knuckle skin in changing it! Does anyone know how I can prove I get a good one?

Also, given what a common problem this appears to be, ONE of you resourceful souls will surely have pulled one apart to fix it! I'm thinking that, once I've got my old one on the bench, I might try to fix it (which will give me a spare in case my 'new' one turns out to be crap). Has anyone ever successfully repaired one?

Cheers,
    Gaz

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Someone wrote a thread on how to fix the motor
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I had the same prob and found how to fit it on here but I chose to get one from a scrap yard instead as I could'nt be bothered to drill out the rivets and so on. If you do a search on here you (repair wiper moter) you should find the how to, if not here is a quick how to. Take out the motor and you will see about 5 rivets, drill them out and remove the plate. There are two brass tongues and one will have broken this is why it wont park propperly. You have to solder a new peice to it and refit the plate with self tapping screws, done. It's easer fitting a seccond hand one lol.
    I got one from my scrap yard for £20 and they marked so I could take it back if it did'nt work but it was fine. I think all yards have the same policy.

Anyway, good luck however you do it.

Paul ............

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Most scrappies these days - especially the online ones - give some sort of guarantee. That's all very well but I don't want to go through all the grief of changing it (and it looks as though it ain't a 5 minute job) only to find it's no better!

How can I function test it before I start the job?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It took me about 30 mins to do the job all you need is a small socket set, but the scrap yard may test it in front of you but you may not get the option you may just have to take one. I have just looked under my bonet and you can pull the plug from you're motor without removing anything and plug the new one in then give them a flick. But fitting and testing is going to be the only positive way.