Thread: quick check on brake/clutch bleeding

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

quick check on brake/clutch bleeding

Gotta send of my ECU to be repaired so while i am doing this i was going to give the brakes and clutch a flush through and bleed, got my haynes and been doing a bit of reading but want to clarify a few things first.

I was looking at getting one of these pressure kits where you use a spare wheel but im lead to beleive that these are not that good and im better of with a normal kit with just a one way valve in the pipe(like what Draper do) so what are your opinions.......

Also haynes says i need to put the whole car on stands.....cant i just jack up each corner at a time, take wheel off and bleed???

Also i understand that i take the resivoire (SP?) cap off first before anything? then pump the brake clutch pedal to build pressure then hold down(but not all the way to the floor?) then undo bleed screw, just before it stops i tighten the bleed screw and then release the pedal. then just repeat this until there is no air...making sure the resivoir doesnt run out....

or with the draper one way valve kit can i just sit there and pump the pedal and not have to worry about keep tightening the bleed screw???

Im, slowly learning lol.....never thought id be attepting these things lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    also for the people that have done this.....as the brake resivour(i really should learn how to spell that lol) is fairly small, when bleeding will it not run out and drain really quickly??? is there anything you can do so not to worry about this...apart from pressure bleed as the draper kit is cheaper lol

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi,
    Before you start this job just make sure that all the bleed screws are free to turn and not seized! The hose and one way valve kit works well, since you have no air in the system you don't need to pump the pedal - just slowly push it to the floor with one bleed screw open at a time. You don't need to take the wheels off if you can manage to get to the bleed screws, I don't usually. Make sure you put the end of the hose in a container or you will have brake fluid all over the wheel and suspension. A few pushes of the pedal will use a lot of fluid - you just have to stop and check the level constantly. It's a bit time consuming and boring but you will get there in the end.