Thread: FMIC is it worth it

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

FMIC is it worth it

hi all i have a standard coupe turbo (no Remap) i have a simota induction kit and steel boostpipe and irridium spark plugs Would i benefit from a lower mounted intercooler from courtanys, i was considering it for making the car more efficient on MPG also i was told it makes the exhaust note deeper and nicer, but in turn i also read it could cause LAG on non mapped cars is this true?

thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I don't know for sure but I would think as long as you only go 57mm pipework it shouldn't cause much if any extra lag. The 63mm pipework kits might though, but i'm not 100% sure to be fair. Sure someone will be along to tell you for definate before too long!!!
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    if your not mappin i'd go for universal fmic from a cost pov., dont think you will see any benifit from the courtney one, spesh without a map.
    Just Another GSi Build Thread (Big BHP Build) - Feedback Thread (Comments appreciated )

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    In my opinion the only reason people fit bigger fmic is to help cooling more air when running maps as the boost is turned up so more air is required therefore more cooling is required and the gm intercooler can not cope.
    The courtenay kit is very expensive especially if you are just fitting it to improve your mpg, even if it did improve your mpg slightly you would probably need to keep the car for a few years to start saving money due to the kit costing about £550!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    a FMIC will lower airintake temps a lot
    is it worth it yea I would say so

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes they are worth it. Even the standard turbo with standard boost creates a lot of heat. You should see more power throughout the rev range and "apparently" (Ive never tested the theory) better fuel economy. I even fitted one to a diesel engine and that still made a difference.

In theory fitting 63mm pipework will cause some lag, but in the real world makes no difference at all. Think of how much air your engine consumes a second, especially a turbocharged engine. It also means you can upgrade to a 63mm throttle body and top hat in future.

And they look good! (Excuse to whore a photo of my car)

HOWEVER: a front mount intercooler and piping and clamps is quite expensive!! The same money will get you a remap which a) is easier b) will see you more power!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by john012 View Post
    What is that boost pipe made out of its massssssssive

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its 63mm

and following on from what I was saying:

If you want to know how much difference cool air makes, take your car out in the middle of the night when its cold and floor it, then do the same on a hot day, you WILL feel that it runs better with the cold air.

EDIT: If you do decide to go down the front mount intercooler route, it is well worth heat wrapping the boost pipes after the intercooler. Yes I know it doesnt look as nice as chrome or coloured silicone hose but obviously your routing cold air through a hot engine bay. merlinmotorsport.co.uk

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    most appreciated guys for the info and your right courtanys one is expensive, what are the opinion on the tx autosport one its only 350 notes from ebay, i was lead to beleive the courtany one fits much better with only little cutting of the bumper my plan when moneys are more of is a pre cat change probably a scorpion one and poss a stage 1 remap in the not so distance future also my turbo has a yellow sticker on it which says DY i know the vxr one is DZ so which one do i have, i am just so confused all i want is a bit more torques and a lovely deep note from the exhaust but nothing silly loud

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    DY is the standard turbo (KKK K03)

If you just want a bit more poke and a nice noise, get yourself a good exhaust system (look in the classifieds on here, they come up all the time).

Once youve got that on then get the car mapped.

You should see an extra 40hp from that.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast