Thread: People who've changed the colour of the mileage - your method?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

People who've changed the colour of the mileage - your method?

Need to have a bash at de-soldering & re-soldering some LEDs in my clocks & Ken informs me that this will mean having to unsolder the mileage display.

I've already had a bit of a connectivity issue with the mileage display & can't remember what he did different when he fixed it for me.

Anyway, i'm sure that not all of you have gone the soldering route. Some of you must've gone PNP.

As pics from memory are just people uploading showing what it looks like without saying HOW they're fitted, can any of you upload pics of your mileage display mod where you've used PNP LEDs so i can gander at the difference between the 2 (if there's any visible difference).

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    solder pain in the a**es? lol
    after removing the yelow diffuser i placed a piece of clear plastic well a cut out from a lid and that acted like the diffuser. however the display wasnt clear so after many attempts and getting annoyed with trying i used a heat glue gun and run a line all around the edge as a packing item. then pulled the metal bracket that holds the display in place tight over the circuit board and it works. miliage display is as clear as it used to be when standard and now it has blue leds.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just re read un soilder the milleage display? i played about with loads of scrap cars before i changed my leds so i knew how to do it and they were all the same set up screen held in place by the bracket that clips over the circuit board and the tightness off this is what makes the display clear or not fully working etc. no idea what you would have to unsoilder on the display theres noting to unsoilder.

pnp? standard buld fitting am i right? on my white dials i removed about 3 "lamp shades" 2 on the back off the dial surround cut them off with a hack saw blade and another 1 inside the white section off the speedo under the dials face and clear diffuser this 1 slides out. i personailly done nothing else as i was happy with this result.

only thing is i lost and since found the rubber that allows the tip buttom to be pressed so i may take mine apart again to re fit this part as i need this to work to re set the service indictor, however not just yet as the cars due its mot so i shall do it after just incase something goes wrong. so if you want pics i can take some when i redo mine however not for a couple off weeks yet.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    PNP = plug n play, as in, whap the bulb in & job done.

& my clocks had an LED conversion done by Ken on here, who's probably taken more MK4 clocks apart than anyone i'd wager. His work is top drawer & everyone who's dealt with him rates him highly.

The setup he put in place was soldered. It gives out a quality look. Only thing is, a year or so later, a bulb has gone, so now i'm having to de & re solder.

He told me the bulbs for the mileage are soldered to the board or something (would have to check my PM box to see his wording of it) so i'd need to de-solder these first.

Just wondering of other people setups. Saw one yesterday,b ut there was quite a bit of colour bleed.