Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Any ideas what caused my piston to disintegrate?(Z20LET)

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Any ideas what caused my piston to disintegrate?(Z20LET)

A few weeks ago while driving at about 30mph and with the turbo about to come on boost this happened!

If this happened while the engine was under pressure I'd be able to accept it but it was only a very gentle drive down a country road. The piston has not yet been taken out so don't know how much damage has been done, but it looks like I'll need a new block along with piston, valves etc. Before this had happened I only just checked the oil level and noticed it to be a little lower than normal, 2 minutes later it died! I suppose I'm lucky that I was only traveling slowly at the time and I shut the engine off and clutched immediately when it happened.
    Has anyone ever come across this problem before and know what might have caused it?
    Any advice with regard to what may have caused it and what to do now would be greatly appreciated

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    serious fuel problem
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Fuel? How do you mean, you'll have to forgive my fairly basic mechanical knowledge, only figure it out as things go wrong! You mean getting too much/too little fuel, incorrect air/fuel ratio?
    A new VXR turbo was fitted a few weeks before this happened but the actuator was set for my engine by Cournenay. Would this have threw off the air/fuel mixture?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Regal remap

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.8vvt X Pack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    I'd say a very lean mixture could have caused that, What map have you got on the car? It doesnt look like its melted though more like its exploded. Did number three spark plug still have its tip on?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the fuel amout dependent on map has probly caused hairline fractures in piston and then upon boost its collapsed in a catastrophic bang

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Car still has a standard map, engine completely standard bar the VXR turbo which was fitted after the seals went on the original one. The tip of the spark plug was destroyed when this happened along with the valves. I was under the impression that the VXR turbo worked fine on the standard map?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i doubt it was vxr turbo then,if its completely stnadrd then you are just seriously unlucky with it poss being cracked

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Drives
    Astra 1.8vvt X Pack
    Mentioned in
    17 Post(s)
    Quoted
    61 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dereklynch83 View Post
    Car still has a standard map, engine completely standard bar the VXR turbo which was fitted after the seals went on the original one. The tip of the spark plug was destroyed when this happened along with the valves. I was under the impression that the VXR turbo worked fine on the standard map?
    God Ive never come accross number three piston blowing on a standard map before Did you have irridium plugs fitted at all?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Doubt they were anything other than regular spark plugs, don't have the car all that long and it would have been the previous owner that would have fitted them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast