Thread: Astra 1.7 ctdi (Mk4 shape 53 reg) crank sensor?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra 1.7 ctdi (Mk4 shape 53 reg) crank sensor?

Anyone know where it is and where to get one from - cheaply? Could do with a guide with pics but can't find one on here.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The crank sensor is located below the starter motor, it is a right sh*t to get to, and really you can only do it from underneath, if you lay under the car put your hand up over the drive shaft and as said below the starter you should find it.

There is only one bolt that holds it in 10mm if memory serves, there is also the electrical connection, the cable is held in a bracket which should unclip so that it comes away from the block the simply pull the connection apart, once un bolted the sensor will come out.

Be patient with it and give your self plenty of time, I thought a ten minute job after looking at the manual lol took best part of an hour.

One other recommendation is to find a flexi drive screwdriver that you can put a socket on to as a ratchet will not get passed the starter I believe machine mart do them, other than that buy a genuine part from vauxhall they are around £65-70 personally I would not trust a pattern part.

God luck

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah i found exactly the same thing out, sounds easy its just not accesible, i had to take the earth lead off to get a grip on there with a socket.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dieselmonster View Post
    The crank sensor is located below the starter motor, it is a right sh*t to get to, and really you can only do it from underneath, if you lay under the car put your hand up over the drive shaft and as said below the starter you should find it.

There is only one bolt that holds it in 10mm if memory serves, there is also the electrical connection, the cable is held in a bracket which should unclip so that it comes away from the block the simply pull the connection apart, once un bolted the sensor will come out.

Be patient with it and give your self plenty of time, I thought a ten minute job after looking at the manual lol took best part of an hour.

One other recommendation is to find a flexi drive screwdriver that you can put a socket on to as a ratchet will not get passed the starter I believe machine mart do them, other than that buy a genuine part from vauxhall they are around £65-70 personally I would not trust a pattern part.

God luck
    Thanks dieselmonster, I'll order one from Lookers and have a crack at it. They're currently doing a full service offer for £99 so I'll stick the nail in for that too.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    we got one from autovaux at wakefield, very good on price. the crank sensor is a bit of a fiddle to get to, found it easier to take bottom starter motor bolt out.
    made it easier to get onto