Thread: Another problem! Throttle position or Camshaft sensor??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Another problem! Throttle position or Camshaft sensor??

Hi, back again with more problems.

driving along a bumpy unmade road.....management light appears, as im going so slow i don't notice any problem.

when i pulled out into the road it was VERY sluggish and had no power. Managed to get it home and didn't stall when I stopped.

when driving and letting off the throttle its ok, when i put it back on the car was quite juddery and as said before sluggish...i guess this sluggishness is limp home mode.

done a pedal test and got the following:

0340-camshaft position sensor
    1550-Electronic Throttle Control
    0200-Throttle Position Sensor

car is a 03 1.6 z16xe astra.

now iv done hours of searching and it could be many things, ECU, earth problem, cam position sensor change and so on....so my question is....can anyone help?!?!?!?! anyone had this before, really couldnt have come at a worse time as i just do not have the money at the mo.

Thanks and if there is any other info needed just ask...

James

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone?

more info: the car does still drive but its im limp home mode i think ( as i press the throttle there is nothing and then a surge, its like it takes a while to realise i have pushed the throttle)

Secondly i went out and started the car this morning and the light wasnt on, after it warmed and a few revs it still didnt come on....but when i did this again last night the light came on after some revs....

just been quoted £45 for a camshaft position sensor!!! when iv been looking people have said these are about £15??

Failing that i understand the Throttle codes i have , i will need to change the whole Throttle body.....could this be anything else???

and am i right in saying it could only be either/both of the 2 (camshaft sensor and TB)???

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update for anyone that wants to try help:

iv changed the whole throttle body to try and get rid of the throttle error codes (0220 & 1550) the car is running semi-normally. its not in limp mode or sluggish but I seem to have a hunting idle now....it always done this ever so slightly but now its much worse.

normally idles about 600 or 800 but now fluctuating between 600 or 800 and one notch over the 1000 mark....which it never done before.

I didn't get hold of a cam sensor as I was told if this was faulty the car would not start or run....is this correct??

What could be causing this funny idle?

Cam sensor?
    Earthing somewhere? where?

BTW I still have the fault codes and the light still comes on after driving ...if i stop take the key out and start it again the light goes out, but shortly comes back on again....im now very very confused

Also noticed (now may be correct but just never noticed it) but all my coolant pipes are very hot...i though at least one was meant to be cool???

i just dont know where to go from here...please help

Thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay_R View Post
    I didn't get hold of a cam sensor as I was told if this was faulty the car would not start or run....is this correct??
    Not much help but in my experience it will still run with a faulty cam sensor.
    you're getting an error for the cam sensor and it's running.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i did wonder but i also thought maybe the throttle problems could poss bring it up??? anyone who knows for sure if it would still run?????

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Isn't the 0200 to do with injector circuit?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sorry that in the first post is meant to be 0220...sorry...can anyone point me in the right direction.....what would you personaly (anyone) do next

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'd have a look at the earth thing in the top one.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...0340+1550+0220

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks very much mate ...a simple google search too

how would i go about making the separate earth? would i earth it to the ECU? how would i attach this extra earth to the throttle body or cam sensor though?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    bet if i said this forum was sh1t id get some replys...seems that people only want to help or give opinions to people that live on here...

anyway for anyone that decides to search in future,

the problem came back after a while of driving so its not the throttle body at fault. So i have one for sale if anyone wants

iv had it plugged into a tech 2 today and got the following :

0220-Throttle Position Sensor 2 Circuit High Voltage
    0340-Camshaft Position Sensor Signal False
    0120-Throttle Position Sensor 1 & 2 different Value
    0110-Air Intake Temperature Sensor High Voltage

The revs dont seem to be picking up with the throttle and this only happens when its warm and been for a run....

Iv been told this is the ECU at fault which would (to me) make sense as to why it isnt a constant fault and only happens when warm.

Only other thing is this Earthing mod or running a separate earth from these bits but im unsure and if the its not the ECU when i come to get it done ill get my money back..

Would say any other opinions welcomed but i obviously don't come on here enough and all you top flight mechanics are just puzzled, not looking for an argument but its the way it looks to me and when i look at other people posts that get no reply because they are 'newbies'