Thread: Transponder and Ignition barrel removal help

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Transponder and Ignition barrel removal help

Seems like a daft question but I cant for the life of me fathom out how to remove the transponder unit and ignition barrel from my steering column

need to fit new one (should be here tomorrow) but cant work out how to remove the necessary parts to be swapped over.

If its easier than explaining, i can bring the old column with me to Billing for someone to show me how its done.

I tried to remove them but gave up, in doing so, the old column fell apart (adjustable mechanism) so i re-assembled it but now it wont move in/out when fitted so gonna fit a new column altogether (other probs too so easier to fit new one)

Any help or advice appreciated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone able to help on this one?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Theres a tiny hole ontop of casing for barrel,kinda push and hold a pick in there and turn key from off position to on and the pick will kinda drop in further if that makes sense then turn back one stage on the key and pop it should come out with the key as one etc and immobiliser ring unplug connector and wiggle it off barrel casing
    "WHATS THE RETAIL ON ONE OF THOSE?" "MORE THAN YOU CAN AFFORD PAL . . . .888

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for that but after looking at the replacement column i recvd today it turns out im gonna have to cut off the entire black assembly at the top seeing as it came with the old barrel (and obviously no key)

will then have to somehow transfer the same black part from my old unit - complete with barrel and transponder over to the new column.

any idea if this black part comes off without cutting it??

i can see a dowel thing at the top which looks like it needs to be drilled and knocked thru from the other side and providing the barrel comes out as meant to it should swap over

u with me?

then the black part on the new column will have to be cut off and hopefully all will be resolved!!!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    any help on this one guys?

essentially i have 2 columns.

old column (shit) with correct barrel and transponder ring

new column (good) with wrong barrel and no key to remove it

i need to transfer the correct barrel and transponder over to the new column but unable to remove the old barrel from the column as no key supplied.

Do i angle grind or somehow cut off the black bracket holding the entire assembly onto the column or some other method.......

and then how to i correctly remove the black bracket either with/without the good barrel from my old column, keeping it intact so it can be fitted to the new column!!!

arghhh!!!! help!!!!

i meant to ask some ppl at Billing but totally forgot

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    would the barrel not come out if you drill the insides of it out?

can you get a pic of how the barrels attach to the column?
    Flame Red 2002-02 Mk4 1.6 SXi RIP
    Flame Red 1997-R Corsa 1.4 8v
    Back in an Astra Silver 2000-X Mk4 CD 1.6 16v

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sh£t man,basically as you havent got the key for your new purchase,i think its a drill out barrel job,basically inside the actual barrel the key moves part of it to allow you to push down the tab at the top(through that little hole)so your gona have to drill it out until the internals collapse and then you can push the tab dwn through the hole and try and wrip the barrel out intact,leaving the housing undamaged

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mmmmmmmmh

plan b me thinks

might forget it tbh for the timebeing,,,,,,,, build the car back up with the current one then source another column at a later time...... too much feckin work for timebeing

in the meantime ive contacted the seller, see if theres owt he can do (doubt it but i gotta try)

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all you need is a key,not even the chip and youd be laughing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i contacted the seller and he couldnt help....all he said was to ask on AOC!

After a bit of consideration Im just gonna try and mend the old one for timebeing then look at changing the column again at a later date - either drilling out the old barrel or just sourcing another column with it already removed.

Also considering fitting a new barrel at the same time as mine has seen better days and not the best for pins falling back into place iirc

thanks for all the help guys but looks like this is a non starter - then again just like the rest of the god damn build!!!!