Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Cam belt change - price?

Hi gents,
    My Astra has done another 55k and it`s time to change cambelt. Perhaps, it`s a hight time though I called Vauxhall garages and was quoted £245 to replace camblet kit. That`s really beyond my budget.

Anyone please advise local garage where this can be done at a cheaper price??? I live in Maidenhead, Berkshire.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What engine?

£200 or so is about the going rate for NA engines.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I just paid £135 for my cambelt and water pump from AutoVaux. Just need to by the cam clamp and coolant and then do it in an afternoon!
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There's a good guide in here somewhere that i followed recently which made the job very straightforward. i wouldn't say p1ss easy but took an afternoon and saved me labour costs. def use Vauxhall parts tho, might cost a bit more but peace of mind is priceless.
    WHAT? AH! NO, I LOST IT

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I shall be attempting mine in a couple of weeks! I was quite happy when i saw the guide in Total Vauxhall! It made abit more sense to me rather than just reading the good old Haynes Manual!
    Bass, the final frontier

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi all,

Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread but i am also about to change the Cambelt on my mums Astra G (2004 plate) 1.6 8v engine which has 112k on the clock......

Is it vital that the water pump gets changed aswell????

And if i bought the kit, what parts do i get and roughly how much should i expect to pay from vauxhall dealer???

Also do i need any special tools????

Regards.

Mike.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by srisport View Post
    Hi all,

Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread but i am also about to change the Cambelt on my mums Astra G (2004 plate) 1.6 8v engine which has 112k on the clock......

Is it vital that the water pump gets changed aswell????

And if i bought the kit, what parts do i get and roughly how much should i expect to pay from vauxhall dealer???

Also do i need any special tools????

Regards.

Mike.
    Yes, as the water pump runs off the cambelt it is essential you change it, as if the water pump went, you would have to take off the cambelt again just to change it which is pointless.

The whole kit can cost between £60-130 depending on where you get it from. Vauxhall GM Part's are best, but, Gates or Contitech are just as reliable and good. The kit consists of tensioners, waterpump and the belt itself.

You need a locking tool though, which is only a few pounds to ensure you have the teeth correctly aligned.

If you're buying from a dealer expect to pay the highest price.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 23carragold View Post
    Yes, as the water pump runs off the cambelt it is essential you change it, as if the water pump went, you would have to take off the cambelt again just to change it which is pointless.

The whole kit can cost between £60-130 depending on where you get it from. Vauxhall GM Part's are best, but, Gates or Contitech are just as reliable and good. The kit consists of tensioners, waterpump and the belt itself.

You need a locking tool though, which is only a few pounds to ensure you have the teeth correctly aligned.

If you're buying from a dealer expect to pay the highest price.
    Thankyou for the excellent reply, Are these locking tools available from vauxhall or can i get them cheaper on the net???? web links would be helpfull too if you have any

regards.

mike.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Are you talking parts+fitting = the answer to your question, or just fitment alone?

I got parts discounted & then i paid £50 for cambelt kit & water pump fitting by a local garage on my Z18XE

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    Are you talking parts+fitting = the answer to your question, or just fitment alone?

I got parts discounted & then i paid £50 for cambelt kit & water pump fitting by a local garage on my Z18XE
    No sorry,

In 23carragold post they mention a locking tool. i was wondering if these were available from vauxhall or can be sourced over the internet and roughly how much it would cost. Also any links to websites that sell them, ive just googled for them but no luck so far........

mike.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast