Thread: My 5 minutes of embarrassment today

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

My 5 minutes of embarrassment today

As I've said on here before, I live near Bundaberg, in Queensland, Australia. Yes, where they make the rum. Anyway, Bundaberg Rum sponsors a team in the V8 Supercars (the main touring car series here in Australia, have a look at v8supercars.com.au, basically its Holden vs Ford, its a big, big thing here in Australia), Bundaberg Red Racing. They're on their way to Townsville, and they stopped at Bundaberg to hold an event to meet their fans. The racing drivers were there, and the cars were there (not just the promo cars, but the real ones that they actually race), and not only did they have the driver's door open and the bonnet up on one of them, but you could get right up close to them. They also had a tour of the transporter. It was brilliant.

They also had an area with 3 racing simulators, basically they were PCs with a steering wheel and pedals running a racing game where you could "practice" racing a V8 supercar. You could line up and have a go yourself, which I did (and I was terrible, but oh well), but they also ran a competition where you could win a race on the racing sim against one of the drivers from the actual team. I entered and won. I raced against Andrew Thompson, and another guy who won the competition. I did about a quarter of a lap before crashing and ending up stuck on a wall. No matter what I did, I couldn't get off the wall. I was stuck.

Anyway, they decided that since I didn't even get to complete one lap, to give me another go. This time I actually completed the race, but I oversteered off the track at every single corner, and came dead last. Keep in mind I was racing against a real V8 Supercar driver (Andrew) and the other driver (Fabian) was also there, watching. I was probably the worst person there all day.

Really, I don't care, in fact I find the whole thing rather amusing. I just think its funny that out of all the people they were probably going to race today, with how terrible my "driving" was, I'm probably going to be the one that they'll remember.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ....pah, you just buckled under pressure ! ... no shame !

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    you had a good time.. so all is well..
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    South Central RO
    Mentioned in
    28 Post(s)
    Quoted
    23 Post(s)
    no pics from the day then ???

sounded good

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    No...of course I didn't even think to bring my camera until about half an hour after I left home. (for what its worth, I actually live outside of Bundaberg itself, about an hour away) But yeah...don't get me wrong, I had a great time...I just find it rather amusing that I've probably given them something to remember. :P