Thread: Got 3 point and a £60 fine today :-(

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Got 3 point and a £60 fine today :-(

What does everyone think? Bit of a long story but I thought he maybe should have given me a caution/ warning.....

I pulled out this afternoon after a copper and he pulled in let me passed, then followed me for about 2mile before stopping me. When I stopped and asked what the problem was he pointed out that I had my spare on the car, I explained that I had a puncture yesterday and that I had ordered a tyre for my alloy. He examined the tyres and told me that the car was unfit to be on the road and illegal as the size of the spare was different to my alloy on the other side, therefore I was issued with fine and 3 points.
    I apologised and explained that i wasn't aware that this was breaking the law, but this made no difference.
    Then he carried on to say that I wasn't allowed to drive the car home, so I asked if he could give me a lift home or follow me home as I was only about 1 1/2 miles from my house but he said NO. So I asked him how he suggested I got home? To which he replied "well if you choose to drive the car home that is up to you, but if you get stopped between here and home you will get another 3 points...... but I don't think that would be very likely!" and after he carried on to say that if he saw the car around town again this evening or tomorrow with the wheels as they are I would get a summons? :-(

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how can it be illegal as every car with a space saver from factory would be rendered illegal and would be as useful as a chocolate fire gaurd so if thats the reason on the ticket i would certainly contest it

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bit of a grey area. On my old car i had 165/55s on the front and 165/50s on the rear, never had a problem. Currently have 245/40/17s on back, 225/45/17s on front as standard.

Are they standard alloys, if so you can argue the point why would they supply a spare an illegal when fitted spare.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Sounds like bull sh!t mate. There's so many cars out there that come with space saver tyres now. Even my coupe came with a 16" spare and 17" road tyres.

Maybe there's a law that there can only be a inch difference or something in wheel diameter?
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i think the spare is just to get you home/garage but after you said it was on since yesterday you put your foot in it does seem unfair id contest it personally

where you off with the copper?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    take it to court...simple as..explain it to them and your off..theres no way havin a spare wheel on is illegal

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Na I was polite, yeah should have said just had puncture but i never thought. Been having a v bad week :-( he wasn't very sypathetic to me as i payed the I'm a woman and didn't honestly know that i was doing anything wrong card. Grrr.... he said I need to buy vauxhall space saver spare or another alloy as a spare , but I don't see the difference a space saver one would make.
    The steel spare was a 15 and i have 17 alloys with low profiles on, I should have thought really but the bf put the spare on and I didn't think anymore of it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I was of the understanding that the spare was to get you to a nearby garage to get a replacement for your "proper" wheel? Not to drive around on for x-days on end?

I've seen some cars around here knocking about with their spare on for weeks. Perhaps this is the problem??

As in, if you can't get to a garage & get it sorted, you shouldn't be driving it. If it inconveniences you then tough. <--- not my viewpoint, but maybe that's what the bloke was trying to tell you??

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know for mot sake, your wheels have to be the same size on each axcel, doesnt matter if there different sizes to the front or back, but the fronts have to be the same and the backs have to be the same

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    what car to do you drive the spare on NA vauxhall's is a 15inch steel rim
    on the later spec cars its a 16inch steel rim

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast