Thread: What would you do?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What would you do?

Right, my turbo on my Z20LET is dead and needs replacing and I've decided it would be silly not to get a VXR turbo being in the position that I'm in. The questions is this - buy the turbo, fitting kit etc and fit myself (costing around £650). Or take to a well known Vauxhall tuners who have quoted just shy of £1k to supply and fit but I'll get a 12 month warranty on parts and labour.

I've looked at the fitting and whilst it doesn't look too difficult, I've never done anything that major before and if I blow another one I will obviously be seriously out of pocket. On the other hand, whilst the other option gives me piece of mind, it costs another £300.

Opinions please - I want my car back to normal asap
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    piece of mind or get someone who has done it before to give you a hand

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If I were in your situation I'd do it myself but make sure I have plenty of time to do it. Possibly even get a few days off work before or after a weekend so that you aren't stressed about time.

It doesn't look difficult to do and if you do it slowly it should be okay HTH
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Time isn't a problem - I'm a teacher and about to start a 9 week summer holiday (sorry)!

It doesn't look too hard but from what I've read they tend to break from poor fitting and I know I'd kick myself if it did and I had to buy another.

Really torn as to what to do - £300 extra is a lot of money for us at the moment.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I watched danny sport take my turbo off the other day mate and it really didnt seem to hard(sorry bout the heat shield dan pmsfl) but from wot ive read make sure you prime it.

Adam
    PHASE 3 ON A SWITCH WIV A GARRETT

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the best way to prime the turbo?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look on Youtube or Courtenay's website. There are some very good how-to guides on how to fit the whole unit (including how to prime it)