Thread: Question on the detailing guide sticky

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Question on the detailing guide sticky

In the process of C/C my bump strips. Was going to leave it once the lacquer stage had finished, but thinking polish>wax as others have mentioned.

So i check out the guide & it lists for my car (Midnight Black) Dodo Juice Lime Prime Lite & Petes 53.

Found Petes 53, couldn't find LPL, so i type in dodo juice & find it.

Under the heading at the top, it states wax - same as petes 53, but in the guide it's mentioned as a polish??

Can the gurus explain?

Speaking of whom, where's Bertone Ben?

EDIT: The finish i'll be looking for isn't necessarily as shiny as you can get either. It's more a, lengthy protection as possible (within an affordable price), so if i should be looking at other products, please point out now.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have a black car and use Lime Prime. It removes water marks etc and leaves a nice base for the wax to protect.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wax/do.../prod_441.html

I use the normal lime prime. They are called pre-wax cleaners as they have abrasives to remove slight imperfections. HTH
    Black Astra Coupe Turbo

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There are two types, lime prime light and lime prime. The normal has micro abrasives in so can be used to remove minor defects due to its cutting properties and then whats left is a good surface for waxing on to. The light version has no abrasives so as said above is a pre wax cleanser to prep the surface.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I'd imagine then, that for this job, lime prime lite would be right, but for use over the long term & value for money, just normal lime prime would be the one.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Can that Petes 53 wax be layered up?

I know some people say my car has x-amount of layers of wax. Well i don;t want to go trying it if i can't be done with that particular wax.

Also, IF it can be done, do you just wait 24 hours between applications?

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said, LPL is a pre-wax cleanser so wherever it's listed as a wax is wrong.

Yes you can layer Pete's up, as you can with any LSP. Wait 24hour between applications, but wash and dry the car again first as it may have gathered some dust and dirt overnight.

will2k1, you shouldn't use any polishes to remove water marks, as they are mineral deposits and you can cause swirling. to stop watermarks, rinse with Reverse Osmosis water as this is completely mineral free.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    As said, LPL is a pre-wax cleanser so wherever it's listed as a wax is wrong.

Yes you can layer Pete's up, as you can with any LSP. Wait 24hour between applications, but wash and dry the car again first as it may have gathered some dust and dirt overnight.

will2k1, you shouldn't use any polishes to remove water marks, as they are mineral deposits and you can cause swirling. to stop watermarks, rinse with Reverse Osmosis water as this is completely mineral free.
    Cheers gaz,

I'm on about using it on the bump strips i've painted at the mo which have been stored inside. I know you can still get dust on them, but aye.

Also, i found LP (didn't get LPL) to be poor. Didn't give any shine whatsoever & didn't dry to a haze (maybe it doesn't) which i was expecting.

That said, my paint job hasn't been the best. There's little to no gloss for some reason, so i'm considering getting them sprayed pro.
    My V-grille, which i spent LESS time on with the prep work etc, actually turned out better than these.

EDIT: How many layers can you get out of this? I remember reading some wax's are pointless after say 3 layers or so & others you can just keep going. Didn't you have something daft like 200 layers or something? lol.

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had 25 layers of Dodo Doublewax on my old VXR (15 hard 10 soft). I'd say 5 would be a good amount to do. My J currently has 5 coats of Hard Dodo Doublewax, going to start with the soft soon.

Have you left the paint for 2 weeks before polishing and waxing mate? as this could be your problem as the paint won't be fully set and cured.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gazTD View Post
    Have you left the paint for 2 weeks before polishing and waxing mate? as this could be your problem as the paint won't be fully set and cured.
    AGH!!

Nope. 24 hours minimum were left in between stages. After the final painting i think about 4-5 days passed before i cracked on with the lacquer process. I then started with LP/Petes 24-48hours later.

That said, the strips are now fitted to the car & don't really stand out as being "wrong"

I just need to source 4 door handles now. They will be a b!tch i imagine though as my sander wont get into the 'groove' so i'll have to sand by hand & the bump strips took a while by machine. Joy.