Thread: can anyone please explain?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

can anyone please explain?

why would the k&n cone air filter that I attached to my astra mess up his performance ? and ive had to end up putting the original air box and filter back on...i was really surprised it did that...surely that wouldve been a good thing? not that you can hear the k&n much anyway unless you seriously revved engine..why is that, and what do i use if i didnt want to leave it as standard?
    in the words of colin mcrae..
    'if in doubt, flat out' ...my hero
    has a plan..

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Mainly as all the K&N is sucking up is warm stagnant air in an astra engine bay mate

They really need a constant cold feed to them in order to get the most out of them

Best thing is a Vectra C pipe and de restrict the air box, and an uprated panel filter. IMO anyway
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah as tom said

its probably heat soak

the trouble with cones is that they are open to all the heat of the engine so they do really need a nice feed of outside air.

a mate of mine used to have a a cone filter in his type r .. but to avoid heat soak he modified the standard air box to house it. worked a treat!

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Open cones are crap, as has been said they just suck in all the hot air from the engine bay.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for explaining guys...yet another mod to add to the list of things to do, i shouldve known about that..
    has a plan..

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Don't assume de-restricting the airbox is a good thing by the way - keep the top pipe when you remove it and drive the car for a few weeks, then put it back in again. See which you prefer - the top pipe is there and shaped how it is for a reason - yeah it might have a narrower inlet than without the pipe being fitted, but the aiflow quality is much better with the pipe fitted and this can make the car drive much smoother and better for most people.

It is horses for courses though, so try both ways before deciding! Uprated panel filter is a waste of time too, an almost identical filter can flow 200bhp for the Z20LET Astra's, so how it restricts the smaller NA engines is beyond me.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Don't assume de-restricting the airbox is a good thing by the way - keep the top pipe when you remove it and drive the car for a few weeks, then put it back in again. See which you prefer - the top pipe is there and shaped how it is for a reason - yeah it might have a narrower inlet than without the pipe being fitted, but the aiflow quality is much better with the pipe fitted and this can make the car drive much smoother and better for most people.

It is horses for courses though, so try both ways before deciding! Uprated panel filter is a waste of time too, an almost identical filter can flow 200bhp for the Z20LET Astra's, so how it restricts the smaller NA engines is beyond me.
    id have thought an uprated one would be better, so am quite surprised spend all that cash n it makes no difference?i guess it just depends on engine etc, like you said nry, my aim is just to get harry running very smoothly so thanks for all comments, will bear them in mind when trying different stuff
    has a plan..

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Every little helps and all that. Just I say as how much power my 1.4 came out with with said mods and others, but I never did an RR before hand, so I canna comment

Plus the fact, cleaning it out and reusing every 5k miles soon make the money back on what you would have paid for a paper filter.
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    How much is a paper filter on TC? About £4? K&N or equivalent is about £35 so that's 7 paper filters already, 2 per year, so 3.5 years of paper filters...add in cleaning the K&N at £10 every couple of years for new cleaner and oil you've got 4-5 years of paper filters for the price of a K&N which doesn't filter as well anyhow...

There was one RR done on here a year or so back to compare the airbox mods and uprated vs paper filter and there was nothing in it at all on a 1.6 16v MK4.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    How much is a paper filter on TC? About £4? K&N or equivalent is about £35 so that's 7 paper filters already, 2 per year, so 3.5 years of paper filters...add in cleaning the K&N at £10 every couple of years for new cleaner and oil you've got 4-5 years of paper filters for the price of a K&N which doesn't filter as well anyhow...

There was one RR done on here a year or so back to compare the airbox mods and uprated vs paper filter and there was nothing in it at all on a 1.6 16v MK4.
    There was about 2BHP difference between the standard filter (brand new) and a K&N filter, mine drives a lot better and the cleaner will lost a long time for £10, I think I paid £40 for the filter and cleaner about 3-4 years ago and still got loads left, you dont need to clean the k&n as often as you would have to change the standard filter but I clean it every year anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast