Thread: differance in engine codes

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

differance in engine codes

hi i have a mk4 1.8 sri astra and am wondering what the differance is between the engine codes x18xe1 and the z18xe are. i think my engine code is the z18xe and am wondering if A) i can use the different engine code in my car and if there is any difference performance wise. the car has been making a tapping noise after it an out of oil, i put new oil in and the tapping has got quieter but is still tapping none the less.

my astra is on a 51 plate registered 02

any help or info would be great as i need this sorting asap

thanks

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    The main difference between the X series and Z series 1.8 engines are that the throttle is cable on the X series and "fly by wire" on the Z.

Also the X18XE1 is 115bhp and and Z18XE is 123bhp.

You have the better engine, just don't let the oil get low as they do use oil.

If it's quieter, give it another oil change. It will help.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    rite i see, so it will be a pain to change to the x series plus the power drop. smeg lol
    ok i will try another oil change later on today n i will let you kno how it goes.

thanks keif

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Hiya,
    When you said you had no oil left in, did your oil warning light come on, did you hear any noises before realising it was low on oil?
    is the tapping noise coming from the top end of the engine? can you tell?

simply because if it is it maybe one or two hydraulik lifters semi blocked a very common symptom of the 16valve engine as yours, but one shouldn't be too concerned,
    A way to tell is if on cold start up it is tapping, then when the engine has been run a little the tapping is queter or dissapears,
    in other words when warmer the oil has circulated better at the top end or head (where the hydraulik lifters are) and quitens the tapping with more lube/oil

Keif knows his stuff, you are well advised,

Hope i have made things clearer
    Paula

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi paula yea fanks i must admit the tappits were my first isea but i have had the rocker cover off and they dont seem to be loose. i have a very nasty feeling that it is the bottom end that the tapping, knocking is comming from so im just starting to think 'new block'

the oil light did come on and i stoppped the car within the next few hundred yards but as you will probs know already in most cases once the light is on the damage has already been done lol. im goin to try another oil change at some point this afternoon and see if it will settle down any more.

thanks for the post

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok guys i have done an oil change its still knocking like hell but it is now fading away tehn comming back almost in a kinda pattern, i cnt tell whether the knock is comming from the inlet manifold or further down the back of the bock. also i found oil around the top of the throttle body where this intake attactches. any ideas?