Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.4 MK4 slight judder when accelerating / deccelerating

Hi,

Bought the car a couple of weeks back - fairly low miles 05 so I'm guessing its been used for short local journeys only.

When driving with a constant thottle posn if I slightly press or slightly release the throttle I get what I can only describe as a double judder (ie if accelerating it starts to accelerate, stops then starts again, same for deccelerating).

The car has just been for a major service and they replaced the plugs (and fuel / air filters) as well as cleaning out the throttle body. Initially I thought this had helped but when driving back from work today it's as bad as ever.

The car also seems to have a general lack of power - it's fairly quick in 1st gear but gutless in 2nd gear upwards (even when revving fairly hard). I know it's only a 1.4 but I'd have expected more - I had a Rover 214 16v a while back that was far quicker than this with only 12 or so more HP.

I plugged in my ELM diagnostic tool this evening and there is nothing showing (MIL light is off).

So - any thoughts? If there was a coil pack problem or EGR problem would they both result in the engine light coming on? I've seen the guide on replacing the EGR and was half contemplating removing it to see how dirty it is.

Another thought i had was chucking in some injector cleaner to see if that helped but never really found any of these to make any noticeable difference.

Thanks!

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    EGR won't always throw the EML on. Symptoms you describe are pretty classic EGR fault ones.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    EGR won't always throw the EML on. Symptoms you describe are pretty classic EGR fault ones.
    Is cleaning the EGR effective or does it genreally have to be replaced? Managed to avoid cars with EGR's till now

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ordered some of this stuff... Seems to get really good reviews. I'm normally sceptical of this kind of thing but will see how it goes.

http://www.powerenhancer.co.uk/product.php/2/bg-44k--for-petrol-

Will maybe try and clean the EGR tonight but was thinking the problems would be more severe if EGR had an issue. I also don't think this issue is temp related (need to confirm).

Could this also be caused by fautly coil pack?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hmm - Just went to remove the EGR to clean it and discovered it's not there, just a blanking plate.

Should my car (05 Mk4 1.4, Z14XE) have an EGR, or was it optional?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iirc z series engines dint have egr's. the z18xe doesnt have one so im guessing the z14xe doesnt either

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    both my z16xe's have egr's, both of my cars have this fault (zafira and astra) so if you work out what it is please let me know as im sick of looking like an idiot that cant drive LOL, i have read that someone had a leaking manifold gasket but i keep pointing myself towards the throttle body as my astra x14xe doesnt do it and that is a cable driven throttle body. I have changed the centre manifold gasket on my zafira and it ran a lot better but i knew that was blowing on mine, just got a blanking plate for my egr so gonna try that and have my fingers crossed as its just annoying

Mark

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also noticed on mine that if you rev it a bit at idle, the rev's increase and decrease a fair amount (+/- approx 200rpm). I guess this could be a dodgy TPS or it may just be "the way it is" but doesn't make for a particularly smooth ride as it kind of does this when driving.

In terms of the powerenhancer BG 44K, it's early days but the car seems to have more power in 2nd and 3rd where it was previously totally gutless previously. It's still doing it's juddering thing but if I give it WOT in 2nd it at least does feel like there is an engine under the bonnet! I was in Kwik-Fit today and noticed that they have started to sell it!