Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra G 1.7DTi - Buy or Not?

Hi

I am looking at buying a 2001/Y Astra 1.7DTi. I have read many many articles on the good things and the things that go wrong and I really am in 2 minds. I am looking at this particular model because of the low running costs related to fuel/insurance. For many years now I've been doing my own mechanics (around 16yrs) right down to stripping and re-building from Piston Rings so I do not shy away from DIY repairs but this has always been on Petrols and mostly Vauxhalls going back to the Astra MK2.

Many articles I read say stay away from these as they are nothing but headache but then I read other articles on how owners have been pleased with the reliability and performance. In my experience a car is only as good as how it has been maintained and I am meticulous with my maintenance. I do not believe even Vauxhall themselves pay too much attention to their quality of maintenance from what I've seen and I strongly object to these new 'extended service intervals' these days of 20k before an oil change!

Anyway the issues I know of with these engines are:
    1. Oil in the coolant caused by either the oil cooler or cylinder head water/oil seals
    2. Oil pump pulley coming loose due to it's retaining nut causing low oil pressure and damage to engine

I understand issue can be checked and resolved by thread locking the nut and torqueing to a new setting.

Issue 1 can be expensive if it's the seals in the head. So are these good engines or bad? I'd like to hear from owners on this forum of their experiences and if they would advise to stay away. Every car has its problems but are the ones related to this engine more than it's worth?

Many thanks

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive had my car from 38k miles and have now done 68k miles in the space of a year and its only ever let me down once from the alternator. imho i think these are very good engines, i have known one to live to 500k miles, as they are isuzu engines and not a gm one also. Mine does have a slight misfire/hesitation and has done for a while but nothing thats causing too much concern, just stedily working my way around what could be the cause replacing bits when i got the money. Always starts first time on the coldest of mornings, no smoke, easy to service/repair, do it all myself and i dont know all that much about the engines.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jiberson View Post
    Ive had my car from 38k miles and have now done 68k miles in the space of a year and its only ever let me down once from the alternator. imho i think these are very good engines, i have known one to live to 500k miles, as they are isuzu engines and not a gm one also. Mine does have a slight misfire/hesitation and has done for a while but nothing thats causing too much concern, just stedily working my way around what could be the cause replacing bits when i got the money. Always starts first time on the coldest of mornings, no smoke, easy to service/repair, do it all myself and i dont know all that much about the engines.
    Thanks for your prompt response!

I was to understand although Isuzu supplied the older 1.7d they did not have a hand in these engines, they were modified by GM. Maybe someone can confirm.....

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi mate. I have one these engines and I think there good little runners, reliable and good on the juice. If I had a choice I would try and get a late mk4 with the cdti engine but the dti is ok.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nah the original ones were GM low blow engines and the 1.7DTi's are the isuzu ones. You can tell by looking on the plastic cover on the top easily, ones which say diesel are GM and ones which say Vauxhall are isuzu.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Good engines, not the quickest of diesel's but they're very reliable, plus mine is doing 45/50 mpg.2001 y reg onwards will be cheaper tax as well, the only other problem is the ecu on the back of the fuel pump which suffer dry solder joints.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just to add i get 62mpg from mine and im a heavy footed boy racer

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kingsblue View Post
    Good engines, not the quickest of diesel's but they're very reliable, plus mine is doing 45/50 mpg.2001 y reg onwards will be cheaper tax as well, the only other problem is the ecu on the back of the fuel pump which suffer dry solder joints.
    Cool, I can do dry joints. Have repaired much electronics with dry joints!

Thanks.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks all so far for your input.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RX1 View Post
    Cool, I can do dry joints. Have repaired much electronics with dry joints!

Thanks.
    Yes, do a search on here for fuel pump ecu or edu, there are some pictures about, you'll need to remove the bolts that hold the ecu to the pump, cut away the silicoln, open up the ecu & look for the dry joints.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast