Thread: What's a dodgy 2.2 timing chain sound and look like ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

What's a dodgy 2.2 timing chain sound and look like ?

I bought an '02 2.2 SRi hatch on 70k on the agreement that it had just had a recent service and timing belt change. Well I bought it on faith that the service documentation would be sent on but the seller is being very cagey about it. I even offered to ring the 'garage' myself to get a copy of the service receipt if he supplied the phone number then I'd leave him be. Following chasing another false promise he's gone completely quiet and having a look at a few bits on the car I doubt the service ever happened.

Anyway I can live with a service not being done but if he lied about the service he may well have lied about the chain being replaced. But on 70k the engine's running really quiet, bags of pull and so I was wondering if it hadn't been changed how would I know, should it be noisy and will it look 'tired' in some way ? Any advice appreciated.
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i got rid of my 04plate 2.2 in jan mate. nothing but trouble. most common fault is the chain going on em...

the oil nozzle that drip feeds the chain gets blocked and the chain runs dry and stretches. they did upgrade to a bigger nozzle but not sure when,
    you can only check if the chain has stretched by lookin at it, or...... if its bad then you will hear it, like a chain rattle sound really, will get louder as you rev it.

i fell in love with my z22se but with the chain going @ 42k!!!! wrote off the engine it cost me nearly £1700 so be v careful with em mate. major issues trying to source parts...
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ... but if mine's quiet at 70k there's a good chance it's been done ?
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think that post 2002 52 plate all had the new larger oil jet. it will only make a diesel noise when it's cold really. if you took the cover off the chain would be loose if it needed doing. if it's quiet mate I wouldn't worry too much, but I changed mine for peace of mind. Apart from that its a very good engine, no other problems at all apart from egr, which cost nothing really!
    *Irmscher Astra G Hatch,
    *2.2L 16v(Z22SE)
    *154.0BHP, 151.3 lbs ft torque...
    ...For now...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's a March 2002 - '02 though, sounds like something's catching tbh but not a metallic noise.
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    There is a egr cheater available, so it can be removed and blanked off. I cant state the site where i got mine from as it is against the rules

I found a vauxhall mechanic called Benny (found on that site) who has changed literally hundreds of chains and comes HIGHLY recommended by everyone that uses him (including me).

The ONLY way to be sure with the chain, is to take the engine apart and check/replace the necessary parts
    Astra Z22SE 200.8 Bhp