Thread: Check oil level light

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Check oil level light

Hi, i have a problem with my car. i have an astra estate Xreg and i have had a z20let enginge with wiring loom fitted. iv owned the car for 4 years since the conversion. as usual with the z20let my turbo perished, i changed the bugger for the leh turbo and all was good. i do regular oil changes and filter changes. but i never knew about changing the oil feed pipe as they get blocked. so i blew anotherturbo. i have since had the turbo replaced and fitted new oil feed pipes. everything was working a treat. but i now have the following issue
    1. check oil level light comes on
    2. its started to get smoky when engine water temp reaches 80, not a constant smoke, just blasts of smoke

so i then looked at the oil level and it was fine, the rocker cover gaket wasleaking so i changed it, when chaging it i noticed that alot of oil was sitting in my spark plugs. i unscrewd the spark plugs and the oil drained into the block. i know that when i started the engine it would smoke a hell of alot as the oil passed through the ehaust system.

But im getting the same thing, check oil light keeps coming on after the end of a 10mile journey and the oil level is fine when checked.
    i dont think its the turbo agian, i reckon its the oil pump but i wanted to check with some experts to see if they thought the same thing.

SOO PLEASE HELP ME, iv parked it up and need an answer as i dont want to blow it up

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    WOuld be interesting to know this as i have similar minus any smoke. Intermittantly at the end of a short journey it will tell me to check oil level and when checked it looks fine. Would be useful to know what is likely to be about to fail on me...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv asked a few local mechanics and they said that these oil pumps dont usualy fail, i live in vauxhall country and part of me wants to believe them and part doesnt. im an engineer myself and im gonna change the pump just to be on the safe side. but if any1 has any other ideas il'd be happy to hear them

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    seriously doubt its the oil pump mate. could be a electrical fault? poor earth perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by astra_dave View Post
    seriously doubt its the oil pump mate. could be a electrical fault? poor earth perhaps?
    I will go for that Astra Dave
    I have a converted let to leh, and have similar syptoms (no smoke tho)
    and put it down to a sensor is off,(electrical)
    Diagnostik is needed, (but not always definitive)

Paula

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy

thank u dave, i havent changed it yet, iv stuck the car on tek2 and it only shows a fault with my traction control, which i already knew about. iv noticed that the smoke that is coming out the back looks and smells like steam. so iv banged my head against a tree and come to a worrying conclusion which is head gasket. it isnt an oil burning smoke, and im getting water collecting in the tail pipe.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Are you loosing water fluid from your header tank?
    Is it oily?
    Has the engine overheated at any time?

Paula

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'll check it out over the next couple of days, iv made note of where the water level is, so ill run it and see if it drops. cheers paula

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

its all gone

Hey lads, i checked the water levels but i was too late. i was driving the bloody car this morning when all of a sudden i had smoke pouring out of the air vents. luckily i pulled over at a service station, i saw smoke from under my left wheel, some wires had caught alight. managed to put them out with my hands, called a tow truck to take me to my mates garage. decided to pull the front end apart and found the burned wires. i then cut them off as they were running to an unused connector. re-connected the battery and f**k, flames started to pour out behind the dash. managed to dissconnect battery and soak the bloody wires with a bucked of water(only soak if battery disconnected). So Iv got bits for sale. i have 2 front VXR seats with built in airbags, all thats wrong with them is slight scourching on the back of them. and i have rear GSI seats, from a 3 door but they fitted in my estate. also got all the engine bits, dump valve, radiator pack, aircon pump, block, gearbox, etc... So if You want them give me an offer. Bloody neva buying 1 again