Thread: Insurance help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Insurance help

My current insurance runs out on Tuesday & the buyer of my car is coming out to view on Wednesday. If that person has full cover on their own car, which allows them to drive other cars third party will this allow them to drive mine, even though mine wont be insured?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if i have my facts straight, to use their own fully comprehensive insurance as third party cover on another vehicle, the other vehicle must also be covered by another policy.

this is to stop people taking out a fully comprehensive policy on a 1.1 fiesta and using it as TPO on a ferrari (just as an example)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by popeye View Post
    if i have my facts straight, to use their own fully comprehensive insurance as third party cover on another vehicle, the other vehicle must also be covered by another policy.

this is to stop people taking out a fully comprehensive policy on a 1.1 fiesta and using it as TPO on a ferrari (just as an example)

depends on the other persons insurance, mine allows me drive any car that isnt in my name on the logbook, the other car doesnt need be insured, i found this out as i borrowed a car off someone who told me was insured and wasnt, i got stopped due to ANPR, i produced my insurance, (which i always carry if using another persons car) and policeman accepted my insurance as valid, as nowhere in my small print (also carry that if driving another car as it covers your ass if your being legitimate) it said the other car didnt have to be insured, just MOTd and taxed!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Both cars need to be covered Fully Comp

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its all down to the insurance company in question, ring them up and ask them? most of the time it does need to be insured, however, in work they have paid out on a TPO claim where the vehicle being driven was not insured.
    Astra VXR - Arden Blue, Diamond cut 19's, Cruise Control, Debaged, Folding Mirrors, CD70 NAVI and CID + Aux-In, Factory Bluetooth, Piano Black Interior Trim, Full Milltek Unresonated Exhaust

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ross0161 View Post
    Both cars need to be covered Fully Comp
    +1 that's what it says on my policy, both fully comp and i'll be covered tpo

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Evening mike, i'm a friend of the bloke (mike) who won your car on ebay and will be taking him to collect the car tomorrow evening, i believe he has gone and got some insurance for the astra today from green light insurance.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said above it depends on the wording of your policy and nothing else, there are no rules with insurance other than that it covers the basic level of third party cover, it is then up to the insurance company to offer other terms as they see fit, if it says the other car has to be insured in your policy then it has to be insured, if it doesnt then it doesnt... Simples...

Bear in mind your insurance is simply a contract, as such whats written in the contract i.e your policy documents is what youre covered for.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    2.2 Astra G 3dr Hatch
    Mentioned in
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Follow PeteG On Twitter
    my insurance says the other car must be insured, although there are numerous "clauses" which mean I could temporarily drive a car that wasn't insured.
    NOW - Sapphire Black 3dr Astra G

THEN - Glacier White 2.0Di Estate - 136bhp 1.6 Pineapple Yellow Mk3 - Flame Red 2.0Di Van - Chianti Red 1.8 Coupe - Star Silver 2.2 Zafira - Flame Red 2.2 Linea Rossa Coupe - Titan Gold 1.8 Coupe

9 Years, 7 Astras, 1 Zafira, No Regrets.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aaron85 View Post
    Evening mike, i'm a friend of the bloke (mike) who won your car on ebay and will be taking him to collect the car tomorrow evening, i believe he has gone and got some insurance for the astra today from green light insurance.
    Excellent, job sorted. Just wanted to make sure you could test drive.