Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Old farts in 4WDs give me the 'RUNS'!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Old farts in 4WDs give me the 'RUNS'!

Thanks to some old fart who shouldn't have been on the road, my Astra is off the road, and its entire driver's side is ****ed!!!!!!

Was on a country road that I use fairly often, and was about to turn right. There was a late model Toyota Hilux behind me. I slowed down, indicated right and started turning. Next thing I know, the Hilux starts overtaking!!!!! As a result, we hit. Apparently its my fault for not indicating...I indicated. Nobody was injured, and both cars were able to be driven away from the scene of the accident, but my car is far from roadworthy at the moment...hopefully the insurance company will realise it was his fault, not mine. Even if I didn't indicate, or my indicator was buggered (its not, and I did indicate), it doesn't exactly take a genius to work out that if a vehicle is slowing down at an intersection, that it is probably about to turn.

Personally though, I think the only "big rig" that he should have been in, is the passenger's seat in a bus.

Edit - here's the pics:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Hiya you have my sypathy, The bloody idiot,
    It has happened to me more than once , and because of my experience in driving i have avoided collision,
    Please let this be some safety advice to other members, after all the impact of such a collision is at your drivers o/s front and could well be fatal,

In no way are you blameworthy, i do hope you are successful with your claim,

Kindest Paula

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah, I think the main thing that saved me was that it was a low speed collision...while the Hilux was going at a fair pace, as I was turning I was doing about walking speed, wasn't going fast enough for the airbags to deploy anyway. As I said, I don't have a scratch on me, nor do the people in the other car. Poor Oliver though...thats a different story.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think you'll be fine as he was making a F'ing ludicrous decision to overtake at a junction

Get your account well documented and into the insurers pronto,before he/she puts in thier
    lies
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieAstra View Post
    Yeah, I think the main thing that saved me was that it was a low speed collision...while the Hilux was going at a fair pace, as I was turning I was doing about walking speed, wasn't going fast enough for the airbags to deploy anyway. As I said, I don't have a scratch on me, nor do the people in the other car. Poor Oliver though...thats a different story.
    Who is Oliver? The car?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    robokn: My thoughts exactly. I'm going to their local office first thing tomorrow morning (its Sunday here, nothing's open)

Paula: Yeah, the car, I call it "Oliver", after Richard Hammond's Opel Kadett

Status
    "Female"
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think it has anything to do with the fact he was driving a 4WD, although i do appreciate they do more damage when in collision with an oject/person, its more to do with the fact that older drivers seem to become less aware or other road users? I think everyone should be re-tested at 50 and then 5 yearly after that, especially for reaction times. Im sure it would reduce the amount of people on the roads drastically!
    Hope the claim goes through smoothly and thank god you were not injured! Keep us updated on the progress. Jxx

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    totally his faulty ..He shouldn't have been overtaking you at a road junction ,regardless , imagine if someone was turning left out of that junction and he had hit them too..
    Drives a 53 plate Arden Blue Zafira A Gsi 2ltr turbo...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    jeez! i would be gutted!

i've had too many close shaves with older drivers recently (since the weather has been good) its insane!

hope the claim goes well, keep us updated

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hope you got pictures of the scene.

I had some tool hit me while i was driving the misses Corsa D, In Hull we have an awkward roundaboutwith 3 lanes going onto it, i was in center lane turning off and an 18wheeler was in the right lane going round. As we was about to set off this 18wheeler crunched down the driver side of the car, Needed new door and some panel beating done needless to say a respray aswell. When he finally stopped i nearly flattened the ******* as he got out his cabin and blamed it on me! even tho i was half way into the very left lane (I was in middle he was in right) trying to avoid him. i was in such a rage the misses put me back in the car while she spoke to him, we moved to keep the flow of traffic going but forgot to take pictures. because of that with him been a "Professional Driver" and cuz we dint get pictures he got away with it and we had to pay 400 to get it repaired.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast