Thread: Exhaust emission

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust emission

Now and again my exhaust emission light comes on and if i go over 60+ 2000rpm the light we the car and spanner comes on and loses power. but then when you stop the car the spanner light go off. but the emission light stay on and after a few miles or so it goes off and maybe gos a few days like this and does the same again What could be my problem?

Status
    Drives
    Vectra VXR + Astra Coupe Turbo
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)
    Add Glasgow_Stu on Facebook
    sounds like ur going into limp mode m8..

i get this when ever my MAP sensor plays up... it fires me into limp mode then after about ten miles it sorts itself out and away i go again..

as said in PM's.. get some fault codes and then we can look further into it
    The coupe...ITS ALIVE & back from the dead....again!
    The internet: where everybody knows everything about **** all.

become a paid member:
    http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/payments.php

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thumbs Up

Quote Originally Posted by strut View Post
    Now and again my exhaust emission light comes on and if i go over 60+ 2000rpm the light we the car and spanner comes on and loses power. but then when you stop the car the spanner light go off. but the emission light stay on and after a few miles or so it goes off and maybe gos a few days like this and does the same again What could be my problem?
    Have you removed the original air filter and replaced it with one covered in oil? I had to get a Mass Air Flow sensor replaced after fitting a K&N. Sorry I did now as it made no difference apart from causing damage. So it's been thrown in the garage. I didn't fancy the turbo being pitted.
    I could drive around town and nothing would happen. If I accelerated hard a few times the engine light would come on. Switch the ignition off and on and the light vanished until next time. If I accelerated gently and travelled above 40mph the emissions light come on. I was quoted £200.19 inc VAT for the MAF sensor from Lookers, but it was done under warranty - it took a field engineer to tell them how to fix it after 3 days. They didn't have a clue and the error codes were slightly misleading. They pointed out the error, but not exactly what was causing it. At the time no one on this forum could help either.

It's something to look at and consider. Grab one from a scrapyard. It's the bit after the air filter housing with the wires coming off it. If that isn't the problem you need to look closer. Have you broken something using any item referred to as a tuning box? They don't communicate with the ECU, just multiply the signals given off, so don't do the engine much good.

I would look at the MAF sensor first. The reason for the emissions light is that when the MAF sensor breaks, it sends the wrong thing to the ECU which in turn injects more diesel. That causes black smoke and that "problem" is picked up and reported.

Good luck with it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff2 View Post
    Have you removed the original air filter and replaced it with one covered in oil? I had to get a Mass Air Flow sensor replaced after fitting a K&N. Sorry I did now as it made no difference apart from causing damage. So it's been thrown in the garage. I didn't fancy the turbo being pitted.
    I could drive around town and nothing would happen. If I accelerated hard a few times the engine light would come on. Switch the ignition off and on and the light vanished until next time. If I accelerated gently and travelled above 40mph the emissions light come on. I was quoted £200.19 inc VAT for the MAF sensor from Lookers, but it was done under warranty - it took a field engineer to tell them how to fix it after 3 days. They didn't have a clue and the error codes were slightly misleading. They pointed out the error, but not exactly what was causing it. At the time no one on this forum could help either.

It's something to look at and consider. Grab one from a scrapyard. It's the bit after the air filter housing with the wires coming off it. If that isn't the problem you need to look closer. Have you broken something using any item referred to as a tuning box? They don't communicate with the ECU, just multiply the signals given off, so don't do the engine much good.

I would look at the MAF sensor first. The reason for the emissions light is that when the MAF sensor breaks, it sends the wrong thing to the ECU which in turn injects more diesel. That causes black smoke and that "problem" is picked up and reported.

Good luck with it.
    No i have never changed anything apart from the oil and diesel filter which was last year and the rear pads which is another story . I was told it could be to do we putting cheap supermarket fuel ie tesco which i do from time to time . i did the pedal and the 2 codes that came up are p0105 p0500 im still no further on .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Take a look at the fault code sticky (or google the codes for info)
    P0105 listed as boost pressure sensor
    P0500 vehicle speed sensor related

----

I was looking a t more info on P0105 and boost pressure sensor would be MAP sensor as suggested by Glasgow Stu...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    P0500 vehicle speed sensor related .That will be why my abs light on. has been since i changed my rear pads at christmas . Is there any way of finding out if it is my map sensor without costing me a lot of money especaily at the dealers price

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Good question - doesn't look at all servicable but I guess you could try inspecting it, cleaning it, or at least cleaning the contacts with contact cleaner...?

Is this the part you need? http://www.worldcarparts.co.uk/tabid...5/Default.aspx

Is that cheaper than the dealer price?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    OK thanks for the PM with vehicle info - that makes a difference. Yours is an Astra H not an Astra G. Here's a MAP sensor for the Z17DTL (if that's what you have)

http://www.vauxhallworldparts.com/pa...e=45&cont=true

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Silly question but wheres the map sensor located on my car 2004 1.7cdti astra H

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hopefully somebody can help you - my old copy of TIS 2000 doesn't cover the Astra H but here's a diagram of the Astra G Z17DTL MAP sensor (= charge pressure sensor) position if that's any help:

Maybe worth investing in a Haynes manual for your car?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast