Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fault code help - possible AFM

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Updated: Fault codes p1106 p0100 p0571 - help please!

Please can someone give me some advice? I'll try and be as clear as possible...

Disconnected air hose from airbox to AFM earlier this afternoon to get better access to the airbox (replaced standard air filter for Courtenay one). When replacing the hose, I broke one of the jubilee clips (at the AFM end) and drove to a motor factors to get a new clip. On the way to the motor factors, the car suddenly felt like it hit the rev limiter at 4000rpm and the engine management light came on in addition to the traction control light.

When the car was stopped I did a pedal test and the fault code p0100 came up. Bought a replacement jubilee clip and reattached it and now the engine management light is off, but the emissions light is on instead. The traction control light is still on.

Please can anyone advise some diagnostics I might be able to do or suggest what is happening here? I know the fault code refers to the AFM and I'm worried I've damaged it by running the engine without the jubilee clip clamping the hose securely to it (although it didn't actually come away).

Car is a 2003 Astra Cabriolet Turbo - Z20LET engine.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    TRy reset the ecu, disconnect the battery for 30 mins

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK - does it have to be disconnected for that amount of time (or longer)? I disconnected the ECU earlier but immediately reconnected it and the fault code was still stored on it.

Perhaps important to note that the car drives absolutely fine which is making me think the AFM is actually OK and it's just a case of resetting the ECU.
    Europa Blue cabriolet turbo...now with VXR turbo, collins dump valve and a large number of Courtenay hoses

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    to be honest each car is different but 30 mins is a safe bet, were the lights still on ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes and it was still registering the fault code

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    gove it a try for 30 mins then mate

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Right disconnected it for about 45 minutes and reconnected it. Started the engine and no lights came on. Blipped the throttle and lights came straight back on and the ECU registered the same fault code as before

Any advice?!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sounds like your AFM is gone, now when i had a courtney panel filter it blew 2 AFM's now im just running the standard paper filter

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Interesting - I assumed it was just a coincidence but seeing as it happened to you as well...

Good news is that the car is still in its warranty from the dealers I bought it from and they are posting me out a brand new AFM. When that's swapped over it will hopefully sort it. Looks like I may just keep the standard filter now as well!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Update

Changed the AFM for a new one this morning and I'm still stumped. Pedal test now reveals 2 additional codes p0571 and p1106 - the traction control light is now out

The car is definitely down on power and doesn't seem to be boosting properly. I'm just wondering whether the feeling of "hitting the rev limiter" when the lights first came on could have been a boost hose coming loose. I'm going to check later this morning but does that sound like a sensible thought??

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast