Thread: sludge in water

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sludge in water

hi all, i have a 1.7 tdi, the izuzu engine, 1ts a 2000 model its theres been oil in the water and vice versa for a while, despite spending a fortune its stil as bad as the day i noticed, i had a mechanic come out and look at it he did a combustion test and said the head and gasket are fine its the oil cooler at fault, i have had that replaced, then i ook it in the garage and they said they cant work out what it is.

im hoping some1 on here will be more helpful than the cowboys i have been paying

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A compression test is not the best test to rule in or out a head gasket especially on a diesel engine due to the very high compression, a leak down test or a chemical test would be more appropriate and as you have replaced the oil cooler the head gasket would be a likely candidate. Are you sure the slugde you are experiencing is not what has been left in the system before you changed the cooler, you should have flushed out the cooling system and changed the oil and filter after the change, it would also be a very good idea to to add engine flush into the oil before you drop it.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oil and water can only mix in the engine sounds like the head gasket has gone as the oil and water can still mix through the head gasket and not show a fault with compression

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I would advise getting a leak down test also, but as said before make sure you give the system a good flush first.

Quote Originally Posted by sri t steve View Post
    oil and water can only mix in the engine
    No they can mix in the oil cooler on this engine too.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive had this on both my astra estates and my work van and no mater how many times i flush and clean the cooling system ive neva bin fully able to get rid of the sludge effect it may be down to the head gasket but neva rule out the sludge being picked up from bottom of the rad and working round the system could be a good idea to back flush the rad dont truely clean it out but moves alot of the sludge

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    A compression test is not the best test to rule in or out a head gasket especially on a diesel engine due to the very high compression, a leak down test or a chemical test would be more appropriate and as you have replaced the oil cooler the head gasket would be a likely candidate. Are you sure the slugde you are experiencing is not what has been left in the system before you changed the cooler, you should have flushed out the cooling system and changed the oil and filter after the change, it would also be a very good idea to to add engine flush into the oil before you drop it.
    i dont think so as its still loosing lots of water, it can lose a litre on a 30 mile trip, i think im going to take it vauxhall, they may charge the earth but im fed up of paying back street garages to rip me off

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you are loosing that much water I would also suspect the water pump, if you get the water pressure tested to one bar it will be evident if the water pump seals have gone, if the manometer does not hold the pressure and there is no water leaks again it could be the head gasket, but before you do any of this make sure its not your water pressure cap that is at fault by water forcing past the threads, tape some blotting paper around it and you will see if the paper has gotten wet. The quickest way to a nackerd head gasket is to keep topping up with water alone as it is the antifreeze that stops corrosion within the engine block/radiator and around the head matting surfaces.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Spedo View Post
    If you are loosing that much water I would also suspect the water pump, if you get the water pressure tested to one bar it will be evident if the water pump seals have gone, if the manometer does not hold the pressure and there is no water leaks again it could be the head gasket, but before you do any of this make sure its not your water pressure cap that is at fault by water forcing past the threads, tape some blotting paper around it and you will see if the paper has gotten wet. The quickest way to a nackerd head gasket is to keep topping up with water alone as it is the antifreeze that stops corrosion within the engine block/radiator and around the head matting surfaces.
    better get some anti freeze in quick then, its not the cap as before i brought it there was a hole in the bottle so i replaced the whole unit, it was obviously covering up underlying problems which i am finding more and more, so you think the water pump is at fault for loss of water and the oil and water mixing is a totaly different problem?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It could be the water pump and or head gasket, the only way to tell is to run some tests, start with a water pressure test, don't spend any money on antifreeze until you find the scource of the leak. You could start up the vehicle and get underneath and look for a leak around the water pump, look for white crystline deposits on the under side of the pump and around the rad and hoses, not forgetting the the heater hoses etc.