Thread: Exhaust Gaskets and Bolts

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exhaust Gaskets and Bolts

Im pretty sure my car is going to need a new exhaust to pass its MOT. Have found a GT3 one that I like and can afford. The question is,what bolts and gaskets do I need,and are they expensive. Also,im pretty capable,would I be able to replace the exhaust myself,or would I be better off getting a garage to do it. Just thinking them bolts are going to be rusted on a treat!
    REDBULL F1

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    If its just the backbox, you will need to find out if you need a sleeve or flange fitment for the join between the back box and the middle section. If its the full system right up to the cat you are replacing, no matter.

You will need a gasket between backbox and middle. LMF sell a wire mesh-type one for a fiver. You may get away without exhaust paste for the join at the front pipe. I did for about 2 years but as the system got older, I needed to re-seal the join. A mini blowtorch may be necessary to heat the joint between the middle and front section (obviously not the back section, near the fuel tank!)

I'd also unplug the after-cat sensor when manhandling the old system off as this can be pulled out as a result.

You can do it yourself at home no bother.
    I>< Silver Coupe ><I

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    sod LMF!!!!

go to ur local motor factors - get the catalogue for exhausts, open up to your model - in fact any Mk4 Astra will suffice

locate and order up a guaze o-ring gasket, 2 new bolts and springs

DONE

should be about a fiver tops - most motor factors have the stock there within a couple hours

BOSH!

Soak all fastenings a good few days to a week before u do the work

rear section only? or cat back? if cat back then just take of the u-clamp and remove the lot

if backbox only then u may need a blow torch on the nuts to make em expand and allow removal - soaked in wd40 should do the trick tho

you wanna get the car as high as possible tho to get sufficient leverage on the bolts should they prove difficult

definitely a diy job tho - piece of piss!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry for slow response,just got in from work. Yeah il be going for the full monty cat back system,so il jack the car up and put it on axle stands so i can work under it properly,and just disconnect the centre section to the down pipe. (Sounds so easy lol)
    I need to get some plugs and a oil filter tomorrow anyway for an oil change,so il pop in the motor factors and ask them. Now iv got a full socket and rachet set,should make my life easier. Does anyone know how the back box is secured onto the centre section with teh GT3 exhausts,is it just a sleeve fitment with a clamp around it?
    REDBULL F1