Thread: i got all this gear, but no idea..please help

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

i got all this gear, but no idea..please help

Hi all, im new to this car mod'in and have just bought a 1.8 16v sport.

thing is it as standard as the day it come out of factory (well apart from a shit sounding univeral cat in the exhaust system).

1st thing needed in my eyes is a decent rig installed.

i bought a few things on ebay, local free ads etc,etc but am now stuck as to how to go about wiring it all together.

Ive no electrical knowledge, so all the numbers in fuses, cables etc dont mean a great deal to me.

heres what i got to play with...just need some one to fill in the missing pieces

any advice would be awesome.

• HEAD UNIT: alpine cd player...4 x 45w output
    • AMPS: 1 x12OOw boschmann xr-888 4/3/2 chan mosfet power amp
    • 1 x 600w fusion 2 channel amp
    • SUB: 1 x 10" sony Xplod 1200w
    • SPEAKERS: infinity 963i 6 x 9's - 300w
    • CABLES: 1 thick blue RCA lead, 5m of 8 guage power lead (no fuse/fusebox attached), 1m of earth/ground cable and a 300w:2 channel wiring kit consisting of 5m power lead, 1m earth,5m phono (red&white), speaker cable (not good quality in guessing) and some fuses (doesnt state the watt on label) and terminals.
    • EXTRA POWER: renegade rct1200 battery/pack....
    thanks for anyone willing to take time to reply.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    "Ive no electrical knowledge, so all the numbers in fuses, cables etc dont mean a great deal to me."

Based on that I'd probably think about taking it to the professionals and getting them to do it, especially if you're going to be wiring up an amp and stuff. While installing a HU and speakers isn't all that hard, if you get an amp installation wrong you'll really be in the shit. Sure, taking it to a car audio place will cost money, and you won't learn anything about car audio in the process, but if you're completely clueless on even the basics of electrical work, its probably really the best option.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right the way id have it all runnign is the 1200w amp running the 1200 w sub the other amp running the 6x9's infact its simular to how my setup used to be, only differance was i didnt have a power cap, basics are this

run the live power lead from the battery to the back of the car to the positive on the amp the eath lead goes to the negative rca leads go from the amp to the head unit to add the power cap you just run the negative and power leads as per the amp but this goes between them so you need a little bit of cable to go between the two.

your cableing if you put a pic up of what you have il tell you what goes where.

easy to wire up and aslong as the fueses are there you wont have a issue as worst case you'll just blow a fues but put a pic of your wires/fueses up and il try explain what goes where and you wont have a issue
    Heading back to the world of AOC

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by fingz999 View Post
    right the way id have it all runnign is the 1200w amp running the 1200 w sub the other amp running the 6x9's infact its simular to how my setup used to be

thanks for help, basically...im fine with set up and what powers what, etc....i should have been a bit more specific

i was a bit unsure as to what cable to use from battery to amp....

so heres what i got

8 gauge lead for battery to amp and im just about to go and buy a fuse conector with a 40amp fuse in (i remember from my 1st set up a year ago.

my 1200w amp states stable into 2ohms on surface - ands its being used for the sub on its own.

600w fusion doesnt say anything on it, but from previous set up i can run that ok.

Here's my confusion....

do i connect both amps to battery with seperate main cables and if so do i fuse AND ground them seperate.

or

do i run it by having 2 amps running to the battery and connecting them into 1 main lead with only 1 fuse? and do i still ground them both?

or

do i simply run a complete curcuit in which i run the 8gauge lead to the 1200w and then run it straight to the 600w amp.....again where do i stand with regards to earthing the amps?

im not going to bother with the power cap yet as i wont be parkied up with the rig on and running battery down...plus its an added complication in this dilema!

oh and ive had an idea of taking out spare in boot, cutting away the small metal frame in centre of spare wheel well and securing the sub box in there and running 6x9s either side on a slight raised surface so that the bottom of speaker has about 2 ins clearance of chassis - but also out of sight from pesky thieving kids...

off to get fuses, cables, etc,etc...be back in few hours to see if im heading in the right direction

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If all the gear is going in the rear, I would run one cable to the boot keeps it neat and tidy, then add a power spliter with seperate fuses etc to power the amps, plus easier to expand the system.

Also create a nice earth point, used to use some think like mechano, which alows expasion for more amps etc

Each amp should have it own fuse, do not daisy chain the power cables. also if for example tahey requre a 40amp fuse in the past I have always put a smalller fuse in as I would rather this went pop first..

Things may have changed in the past 23 years..
    54 Plate GSI ZAF fully loaded CS1 Quad 250cc blinged to the max Honda RR3 FireBlade with extras Mini Cooper S Cabriolet

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    right big change in set up which i was shown by the very helpful guy who spent 10 mins explaining a few things about what ive typed on here only for me to forget i had a spare power cap handy.

so i goes a little like this i think..

1 8G power lead from battery with 40amp fuse in a multi output fuse holder (distribution cap is it)....split out of there....1 onto the power cap onto the 1200w amp and 1 onto the 600w amp....then grounding both amps and i think the power cap too at 1 location all linked by ring or hoop connector.

once ive set that up its over to someone who knows what they are doing to check and set it all up correctly and reconect me battery..

well here goes nothing i guess