Thread: Sound Deadening Pictures

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sound Deadening Pictures

Here are the pictures of my sound deadening, I just copied these from the talk audio forums so might not make sense.

Finally got all of my sound deadening today (Thanks loudboy), got 10 meters of the 2.5mm stuff and 2 meters of the 4mm stuff, should be plenty to do my astra I am suprised how little difference it makes to the speed of the car (just sat in the boot) I was worried the car would be dead but still pulls just as well as without the weight, hopefully get it all on the car in the next week or two so stay tuned!

This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536.
    This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 2048x1536.

yes, that stretches right to the back of the garage, its almost 2 car lengths of it

Right, spent this morning stripping out the interior then went to do the dash, got everything out, was coming away then I realised that all the wiring was linked to another bit of wiring that goes into the engine bay and I was running out of time, so quickly stuck the dash back together and front seats and made sure the car didnt catch on fire and it didnt, hopefully spend the rest of the week cleaning the interior, removing the OLD deadening and make a start on getting the new stuff down, hopefull have it all finished for this next week but we shall see lol! Anyway, here are some pictures.

Oh and I was lucky I took the interior out as the floor of the car was soaking, the carpet was dry but the sponge underneath this for soaking wet, luckily there were no rust patches there but I did spot a few other bits that need treating and waxoiled just to be sure, mainly on the inside of the rear arches and inside of the sill.

Opps, forgot pictures lol, uploading now.

Got a bit more done today.

I finished putting the dash back in and then hoovered and degrased the boot and where the back seats where, only managed to get 1 sheet down before it started raining.

Got a bit more done tonight, might take me longer than I originally thought.

I thought adding mass was the main thing and adding one large sheet can sometimes be worse, I dont think it should make a difference either way as its all adding mass to the panel at the end of the day, I am trying to add big bits where possible but in other bits I am having to cut it into smaller bits, it seems to be working as the panels I have applied to are all solid.

Got a bit more done tonight, not much.

Not gonna bother with any tonight, its a bit dark outside and raining and I have no proper light in my garage so gonna leave the rest until sunday, found a picture of my front doors that I did last year although I still have to do more to the outerskin, they have a wedge pack of dynamat extreme per door and once finished a full 1m sheet of 4mm loudboys per door. Speaker baffles are 18mm MDF which are screwed and glued to the door for a nice solid and air tight fit.

Sorry about the slow progress, been very busy recently, done a bit more tonight to one of the rear quarters, took an age getting all that old cloth stuff and glue off the rear quarter and that foam thing round the speaker.

Didnt get much done tonight, got my areal base seal changed although need to redo it some some sealant as its still leaking slightly will get that done over the next few days, here is a quick couple of pictures showing my amp and also the tweeters in the OE positions.

Got a bit more done today, still not as much as I would have liked but I am totally wrecked and want to relax for the rest of the day as sunday is my only day off.

Finished off the rear quarters and got the roof done, still needs a bit more in one bit as you can hear in the video at the end.

All that's left to do is the floor and A and B pillars, then I have to cut the underlay to shape and glue all that to the car/interior bits, oh and I have to finish off the door outer skins, when I type that out it makes it seem like loads

Also got my aerial base rubber replaced as it was nonexistent and could start leaking in the future.

This video is before the roof has been done but the rear quarters have been done.

Click here if you cannot see the above video...
    This video is after the roof has been done, BIG difference as you can hear.

Click here if you cannot see the above video...

Didnt do much tonight, just a bit to the boot. It is a lot more work than I originally thought it would be, I can not wait until it is all done.

Been very busy the last week so only got round to doing some today with it being a public holiday, didnt get much done, finished the roof off and all the pillars, also got a bit done to the floor, just the front doors and floor infront of the seats plus a few other small bits and thats the sound deadening done, then just got to cut the carpet underlay and refit interior, hoping to get it all done before sunday as there is an audio day and I want to get my car judged and get some feedback on it.

Damn it! Have been so careful in the car and tonight i was working on it, put it back together and air bag light came on, just this second as I am typing this I realised what I did, I forgot to plug the side impact airbag in again when I had the seat out, DOH! oh well, it was bound to happen at some point.

Anyway, got a bit more done, got the passengers side floor sound deadened, carpet underlay cut to size and then original sponge and carpet refitted with seat, wohoo, actually putting stuff back in.

I also finished the passenger side door, it needed the outskin done, so there is now a full 1m sheet of loudboys sound deadening plus a wedge pack of dynamat extreme, I then added a few bits of sound deadening to the door card to give it some weight and then a layer of carpet underlay.

Car is all back together, no point in pictures of this as you all know what a standard astra interior looks like

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how do you get the side plastics off in the 3rd from last picture ??

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    The seats have to come out first as they are in the picture
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Does it not matter that you have gone over the airbags?

And what about if you ever want to get to that fuel pump?

Looks a good job though, i love my car, but dont think i could be bothered to go to the extreme of stripping it that much

I bet the music sounds a 100 times better now though

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Music is very very good now, very crisp and the bass is very tight and I dont even run a subwoofer, I have just covered the air bag sensors and they will still work fine, the sound deadening can be removed with a heatgun if I need access to the fuel pump so no major problems there.

I dont have to have the music as loud as there is less road noise, I still haven't finished yet as I need to do some more work around the rear arches, should see a significant reduction in road noise after this but I spotted a bit of rust that I need to sort first before sealing off the rear quarters and adding more of the carpet underlay.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i know the seats have to come out, but when i try to pull the side plastics out they dont move ! i dont want to break something

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You also have to remove the bar that the bottom of the seat belt secures to, then it should pull off, they are a bit stiffer than most panels as they are held in place with metal clips instead of the plastic ones.