Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

No Throttle Response

HI all

I posted a question about this a while back but still have not solved problem, but have established what it isnt!

Basically, we have a 2003 1.6 8v Auto Astra, it was fine, then we didnt drive it for 2 weeks, went to drive it and throttle didnt do anything, no response at all, as if its been dosconnected.

I think its fly by wire.

We checked relays etc and they all seem fine, we then got the ECU sent off and this is fine too.

Any other ideas what it could be?

Thank you

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you checked the throttle position sensor?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

where is this part located, could that effect it so much that nothing happens at all?
    it really is as if the throttle is just disconnected

thank you

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone in the know, where can I locate the throttle position sensor, i think its going to be that or the actually electronic throttle unit.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If it is fly-by-wire then it will probably be built into the throttle body and not possible to just unscrew and check.

As with most cases, an opcom or similar unit would be a valuable assistant because of the live data that would reveal if the ECU receives the throttle pedal signals as expected.

The Throttle response is dependant of 3 things.

1. A valid signal from the pedal.
    2. A working ECU
    3. A working throttle body with a working throttle position sensor.

Have you tried the standard tip of removing and cleaning the throttle body ? If the car has been off for 14 days then the sooty deposits might just have hardened enough for the butterfly valve to get stuck..

What about warning lamps, have you got any of those lit ?

Vectraowner

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi

No warning lamps.

ECU was sent off to ECU doctor and they said its perfectly fine.
    Throttle body off and cleaned etc still nothing whatsoever.

So im thinking it may be a fault pedal, is the black box by pedal prone to failiure?

It is fly by wire

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It's fly by wire if there is no wire cable going from the accelerator pedal to the throttle body.

I dont know if the pedal is prone to failure but i know that a FBW pedal has 2 independent potentiometers that both must supply the ECU with a valid signal for the throttle body to operate. If i remember correctly they are reversed so that one goes from 0 -> 5 volts and the other goes the other way. The sum of the 2 signals should always be about 5 volts. Only thing is that if one signal is missing then the ECU should give a fault code to indicate that it thinks there is a problem.

This redundancy is made because if there were only one potentiometer a failure could lead to a toyota alike unwanted acceleration.

But ofcourse if the pedal box is missing a common ground or something maybe the ECU would not detect any errors worth mentioning to you

Have you tried the pedal trick to see if there by chance is any stored codes that could lead you in the right direction ?

My thoughts here is that the pedal box should not break just because you did not use the car for a period of time and if it breaks it should be when in use and not when not used.

But then again, i would just attach mư opcom unit and fire up live data and see if the ECU gets proper signals from the pedal...

Opcom unit cost no more than one hour of labor at a vauxhall shop and i think that everyone should buy one

Vectraowner

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thats a great help, I have a normal small handheld code reader, but nothing.

But we got it plugged into a bigger reader, and it said something about the voltage, so Im guessing it would be one of the potentiometers at fault?

Where can I locate and identify these?

Regards

Thierry

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You cannot buy potentiometers.

You buy the whole pedal assy.

It's the black box that has the accelerator pedal attached to it and the electrical plug.

What you will be looking for is something similar to this.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ASTRA-G-MK4-EL...item1c114461e9

Please note that i cannot guarantee that this exact item will be like yours, it is merely shown here to show you roughly what to look for and how it looks.

Just dont understand why the ECU does not turn on the EML when there is an error like this.

Zafiraowner

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by thierryrichards View Post
    HI all

I posted a question about this a while back but still have not solved problem, but have established what it isnt!

Basically, we have a 2003 1.6 8v Auto Astra, it was fine, then we didnt drive it for 2 weeks, went to drive it and throttle didnt do anything, no response at all, as if its been dosconnected.

I think its fly by wire.

We checked relays etc and they all seem fine, we then got the ECU sent off and this is fine too.

Any other ideas what it could be?

Thank you
    hi i have had grief i had the same problem with my 1.7 dti i changed both ecu s and pedal ! but still the same. then by luck i unplugged the mass air flow meter restarted the car and now have full throttle control. but if i plug air flow meter back in the revs jump to 1500rpm and i lose throttle control! so the problem is mass air flow!!hope this helps!!..leebee