Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Engine Temp Urgent Help

Hi Guys

I really need some help and am totally confused, let me explain what happened

I have a vaux astra 1.6 petrol 2000 model

My engine temp always showed around 85c since the time I bought it

My car recently came back from the garage, the stupid mechanic didnt put the jubliee clip properly on radiator pipe which goes to the engine from the radiator..The pipe came off whilst I was driving...Water started to leak rapidly

I was unaware and was driving, I noticed the RPM meter of the car started to fluctuate a bit..I checked the engine temp reading, showed 85C...I thought coil pack must be playing up and i carried on driving..

After 1 min I noticed the car is not running smoothly..I stopped the car..checked the engine reading showed 87c..I opened the Bonet and noticed this burning smell and suddenly from the bottom part of the engine smoke started to come out..I ran and swtiched off the car

I noticed the radiator pipe has come off and all the water leaked..I fixed the pipe filled the radiator with coolant/water...car runs ok

But now i notice my car temp doesnt stays on 85c like before but it stays on 90c..then goes to 93c where the engine fan starts then the temp comes down to 90c..then fluctuates from 88c to 90c and ocassionaly to 93c???

I checked the radiator bottle for any signs of burnt gasket in the water..The result is water is clean no signs of any gasket particles...

However I noticed my oil colour from golden has turned to dark brown with a blackish shade

PS I dont know if this is also related due to above:: I opened the spark plugs and noticed little oil minute drops on the washer of spark plug no 2 which fits inside the engine although the threads and the spark area of the spark plug are totally dry... Before the radiator leak incident when ever I removed this spark plug it was always totally dry???

Please advice
    Thank you

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thermostat might be broke, might have burnt out a seal in engine causing oil leak im sure others will correct me if im wrong

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if i was you i would take it back to the garage and get them to replace anything thats damaged because of it.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    As above, ^^^^^^^^

But i think your engine will be ok, and i think your oil on the top of the plugs is incidental,
    you said the electroded are dry,
    SO as mentioned, the thermostat could be sticking, mention that at the garage,

But make sure your rad isn't loosing coolant,(it has to find its own level again in the header tank, because sometimes there is an airlock,but the tank should never be empty,

My concern is that you say you smelt burning and smoke,
    are you certain it was smoke, or was it water vapour?
    obviously your engine got realy hot, excessive heat expands the internals/pistons, and the engine is tighter, the extreme being the engine oil boils and the pistons/shells seize/and engine blows,

BUT i'm SURE YOUR CAR NEVER GOT TO THAT STAGE.

At worsed it might have blown the head gasket,(ask the garage to do a gasket test) they should oblige.

Listen for any change in beat/sound to your engine, if you notice a difference from before inform the garage.

Hope ive helped

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    As above, ^^^^^^^^

But i think your engine will be ok, and i think your oil on the top of the plugs is incidental,
    you said the electroded are dry,
    SO as mentioned, the thermostat could be sticking, mention that at the garage,

But make sure your rad isn't loosing coolant,(it has to find its own level again in the header tank, because sometimes there is an airlock,but the tank should never be empty,

My concern is that you say you smelt burning and smoke,
    are you certain it was smoke, or was it water vapour?
    obviously your engine got realy hot, excessive heat expands the internals/pistons, and the engine is tighter, the extreme being the engine oil boils and the pistons/shells seize/and engine blows,

BUT i'm SURE YOUR CAR NEVER GOT TO THAT STAGE.

At worsed it might have blown the head gasket,(ask the garage to do a gasket test) they should oblige.

Listen for any change in beat/sound to your engine, if you notice a difference from before inform the garage.

Hope ive helped

Thanks a lot everyone for your replies. I appreciate it!!

Well i took it to the garage they said everything is alright..Even though i dont trust these people as they would lie to cover their backs

The said if the head gasket was damaged then the radiator bottle will have gasket particles in the water...My water is clean

About thermostat they said even if your car gets heated up big time, the thermostat's rubber wont melt..so thermostat is ok

About burning and smoke..it was coming from bottom of the engine..as u said it could be water vapour and the burning smell is the smell of radiator coolant vapour

There is no change in sound/beat of the engine

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    you should be fine mate keep hold of your recipt for the work you had done... u can take it back if you discover related problems later.... garages are very quick to change there tone always good to keep recipts

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    tbh, it sounds to me like its running better now then it was, the engine should be around 90c at all times