Thread: new exhaust advice needed

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

new exhaust advice needed

just bought the 2.2 sri and the baffles are rattling like mad in the silencer so am looking at having a cat back system fitted.
    was thinking of going to a powerflow dealer and get them to make one up for me, has anybody had any dealings with powerflow exhausts and what are they like?
    also what size do people think i should go for, im totally standard atm but wouldnt mind putting cams and a couple of other bits on in the future
    any advice would be greatly appreciated thanks a lot nathan

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Hey Nathan, I had one of those Powerflow exhausts on my GSI mate which had 3" rolled out tailpipe and tbh I wasnt impressed. Forget a quiet drive in the countryside or more annoyingly, the motorway! Loud as arseholes mate no matter how many silencers you have fitted. I spent that little bit extra (powerflow did me for £350) and opted for a resonated quality brand named exhaust. Quiet at low speeds and rip roaring when floored. Ultimately friend, you only get what you pay for.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also had a powerflow many moons ago. Just a back box and could set off car alarms if i revved within a few feet of them.....quite the crowd pleaser when i was 17 and still wet behind the ears. Now that i am older and mellowed out i dont want a constant drone everywhere i go.

As 4EverSmitten says best going for something that bit more expensive, like a magnex or scorpion, something that bit quieter but more aimed at the performance side of things.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    where are you could try asking for recomendations in your regional section, powerflow are good and bad depending on which branch you use

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Hiya my options would be: if you can afford one:

Miltec,Remus, or blueflame( later a lot cheaper) look into what Thornley motor sport has to offer.

But please take your time on your choice

Paula

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the advice people and was looking for something quieter until i wanted it to grunt tbh. what would people suggest is best for me, im looking at sticking to the standard cat atm and changing it at a later date. what are the race pipes like on ebay? then get a magnex backbox or something? dont want to get something i am not going to be happy with, would rather spend tht bit extra.
    cheers for the advice
    nathan

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    a race pipe and magnex would sound very nice
    Quote Originally Posted by aussiegman View Post
    You know me so well and not even dinner, a movie and some flowers Tony. What sort of man do you think I am!!!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Hiya Nathan,
    My advise would be to do a little more research, on here and on ebay
    You will gain knowledge, on pre decatting, 200 cell cats, resonated/nonresonated systems.
    BUT, What the general opinion is, that if the system is loud, it sometimes become very annoying on the motorway etc,ie continuing drumming.
    So as you have mentioned, you are wise to go for a quieter system, (resonated maybe)

A good system to me is when it sound "sweet"
    Try picking up a second hand Irmscher back box on ebay, maybe £70, that might cure your immediate prob, ya can always sell it on later
    There are two fittings sleeve and flange, the later is the more common,and the 2.2 is the same bore as the 1.8 and unsure about the 1.6, But the 2ltr turbo is bigger, also the coupe and standard astras differ.

My option after serious cosideration is a miltec decat/200 cell resonated complete, for my turbo mk4, vxr system an option, or the remus equivelant,
    Quiet with a sweet sound with a little more HP

I hope ive helped a little
    Paula

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can I hijack this thread just to ask for any recommendations for a 1.8 coupe exhaust. I'd like it to sound a bit better than the standard exhaust that's on it currently.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi guys i just had a custom made exhaust fitted to my car from rtec st albans rele please they ask u how u want it to sound what tail pipe u want and there so helpful that would be the best bet i think. had a catback fully stainless steel with 1 silencer for 300 pound cant go wrong imo loud when u want it quite when u dont . nice little burble on idle think the exhaust a reflex

hope this helps lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast