Thread: kwik fit

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Angry kwik fit

Took my car to kwikfit yesterday for its MOT(only because it was free with my insurance). Anyway the car failed on both front drop links front track rod and 2 rear tyres. The bill £440 i was well and truly pi**ed off. What made it worse was they didnt have my size tyres in which are 215 40 17 the guy there said he will put 215 45 17 to which i replied would it cause any problems. No he said. I had a long drive ahead of me and was desperate to get going so i agreed to having the tyres on. When all the work was done i set off and 1 mile down the road TC and ESp light came on and the car is like an absolute dog to drive. So staright on the phone to kwik fit asking why it was doing this his reply was the tyres are now differant sizes and its sending different pulse to the ECU causing the lights to come on. So i told him how unhappy i was and he said could i turn back at which point i had set off on my drive to Torquay. I now have to take it to kwik fit near Torquay to get the problems looked into which im not happy about as i supposed to be on short break with my daughter. Lets hope they sort it out today. Rant over.
    GTC SRI 2.0 CDTI

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    lesson learned for you mate, kwik fit are sheeite lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by EVO View Post
    his reply was the tyres are now differant sizes and its sending different pulse to the ECU causing the lights to come on.
    that doesn't sound right to me? my guess would be they haven't plugged a sensor back in

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Because there different sizes the cars thinking your spinning the front wheels up and cutting the power, one temp fix would be to put front on the rears if you get chance
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I went to them for my free MOT as well a couple of months ago. They couldn't get my car on the ramps as it was too low and they wouldn't let me take the front bumper off to get the car on so I was told to go to another branch which had a pit instead. After I called them up to change it I was told that I'd need to pay for it so I told them to stick it and went elsewhere.
    ^Click above if yae are^
    >< Proud To Be Scottish ><

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    ECU is getting a different speed reading from the front and rear wheels now due to the different sized tyres...

Drop links are £10 each and easy to swap, track rod end is about £13 and would need tracking set, not sure what you spent on tyres but £440 seems excessive! Shouldn't be more than 1 to 1.5 hours labout max in there, so £50 an hour plus MOT plus parts is about £160 or so...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Funny theory that, as i am running 205/40 on the front of my astra as a temp thing to get it on the road, and 215 on the rear and i have not had any issues with sensors or lights. Sounds like a cop out to me

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    both the tracking (or lack of) and the mismatched tyres is the reason for the lights coming on.

£440 though!!!!!! they certainly seen you coming is all i can say

Get it done for less than £100 or £150 at a push.

hope u get it sorted though!!! be interesting to know if the tyres or indeed any of the other parts they mentioned were worn!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    142 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    You are all wrong Above,

It shouldn't make any differance whatsoever, other than your speedo registering the wrong speed, but only a little,

Ive put similar tyres on my 17in rims with NO probs, put lower profile tyres and no probs with NO warning lights etc

I think its probably the abs sensor, or something like pad sensor
    But not THE PROFILE OF THE TYRES
    Quick fix were Horse poohing you i think

Paula

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Paula View Post
    You are all wrong Above,

It shouldn't make any differance whatsoever, other than your speedo registering the wrong speed, but only a little,

Ive put similar tyres on my 17in rims with NO probs, put lower profile tyres and no probs with NO warning lights etc

I think its probably the abs sensor, or something like pad sensor
    But not THE PROFILE OF THE TYRES
    Quick fix were Horse poohing you i think

Paula
    well i put higher profile on the front to the back short term and that caused both my TC and ABS lights to come on, took them off and not seen it again since!! it happens if you put a smaller spare wheel on too!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast