Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Timing Help z16xe valves hitting head?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Timing Help z16xe valves hitting head?

Right have followed the mannual exactly to get the timing dead on. one thing i notice with the belt, is that its so hard to get on in the first place and then i need to use the full tension to tension it up correctly once on?

also pulling the belt up from the crank, to the exhaust it seems to be "half" a tooth out on the belt? im following this exactly

and yet when i go to turn the engine over via the crank it locks up after 20/30 deg? ive even gone to the hassle of putting the crank at 50/50 in the bores to spin the cams to check its not a problem with these but they rotate as the should (albit in a jerky fashion) so am i doing something wrong here?

another thing ive noticed is that its possible for the water pump to be used as a tensioner too, although no mention of this in any of the mannuals. ive got the notch on the upper right (looking at it) hand side as that where the old one came off, again is this right?

cheers for your time guys

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Have you tried one of the plastic timing tools that locks the cam pulleys in the right place before refitting the belt?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    no tbh mate i havent, although i can get it spot on without the need to have one? i dont understand it as even if it was a tooth out it still surely wouldnt come into contact with the valves?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    It rings a bell from stripping my engine down, that the garage advising said that without the tool fitted they found that the same thing happened, the timing ended up out by half a tooth...can't recall the exact reason why though!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hmm ill buy one if i have to but i honestly do not think that is the issue. i can get the belt on with all timing marks correct however the engine wont turn over by hand? im not gunna try to start it as that will then bend those new valves ive just put in...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have you taken all the plugs out? Makes life a lot easier when you need to turn the engine.

I done it ones without the locking tool and found that the inlet side tends to turn back slighly and that makes the belt out by a tooth. I had to hold the inlet cam in place and then tried to fit the belt. It worked but lesson learned.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbirdxx View Post
    Have you taken all the plugs out? Makes life a lot easier when you need to turn the engine.

I done it ones without the locking tool and found that the inlet side tends to turn back slighly and that makes the belt out by a tooth. I had to hold the inlet cam in place and then tried to fit the belt. It worked but lesson learned.
    yes the plugs are all out mate.

thats what i find the inlet sits 1 tooth too low but i just hold it in place and fit the belt.

im just confused why it wont turn over

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    from memory mate even though the cam marks should line up together they are always out a tiny bit with the tool. Also the crank can be out a fraction to at times.

Where are you located? if you are localish you can always borrow my tool

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    have you got the cam wheels on correct inlet and ex just idea

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Reece_SRi View Post
    from memory mate even though the cam marks should line up together they are always out a tiny bit with the tool. Also the crank can be out a fraction to at times.

Where are you located? if you are localish you can always borrow my tool
    im in cardiff mate, if your localish? ive won one on ebay so hopefully it'll be here by monday (my next day off)

ye ive notice this as when the crank is spot on theres half a tooth extra needed on the belt to get it "tight"

Quote Originally Posted by Drewy Coupe View Post
    have you got the cam wheels on correct inlet and ex just idea
    i should hope so mate. kinda hard to mix them too around altho it is possible i maybe fitted the exhaust cam to the inlet sprocket and vice versa, again highly unlikely tbh, any quick ways of checking?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast